NH Homesteader's journal

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise how do you wash fleeces without felting them? I hear shetland felts quite easily so I'll have to be especially careful!

Disclaimer: I'm not great at washing fleeces. Soak in cold water at least 24 hours (oops, I never did more than 4). This makes the VM and dirt fall to the bottom. (apparently, I have not done this correctly yet). Soak in hot water, drain with when the water cools. Then start detergent soaks. Felting is from agitation and hot to cold water change. So each time you add water, it needs to be hotter than whatever temperature the wool and water currently are. Also, take the wool out before adding water to avoid any extra agitation.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you! We'll see how I do... I'm sure I'll ruin some stuff this year, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woke up to pouring rain. And I can already tell snow is melting, the driveway already looks muddy. It's going to cool down again tomorrow but for today I'll take 58 and rain!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
X2 Them little buggers can pierce an eardrum!

Ewwww - rain! But, the 58 degrees sounds pretty good for ya'll. It was 54 here this morning and supposed to stay in the 50's all day.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We cuddled some piggies this afternoon. The little boy flopped for a belly rub! It was the cutest thing ever! One of the little girls screams nonstop when you pick her up, the little boy squealed once and then cuddled up, and the two other girls are somewhere in the middle. They were sniffing around mom's grain today. Patty and her buckling try to steal food through the fence and Charlotte might end up eating a goat nose if they keep it up. Don't mess with a hungry mama! Lol

It is a mud pit in my yard, probably like yours FEM, except I still have feet of snow most other places and it'll be over for me before too long.

Waiting for real spring. Tomorrow we're back to the 30's.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
t is a mud pit in my yard, probably like yours FEM, except I still have feet of snow most other places and it'll be over for me before too long.
At least you have an end in sight!

I've never gotten one of my piglets to cuddle...except for a little runt I had once. Her name was Tiny and she was my friend...for a few days anyway...:(