NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He is looking at one. He has many of them. We trade guns for goats. Well, I have sheep now too so I guess I trade guns for ruminants? Lol I guess it's similar to seeds and guitars!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Guns sometimes enter the trade wars here also. By far, the most volatile trade war is cat or dog vs. guitar. I once threatened that if he brought home an other guitar, I'd go get a cat, and name him Gibson, or Martin. A guitar once showed up here un-announced. He hadn't gotten around to telling me that he'd bought it. I hid it. LG scored a win on that one!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol! That is fantastic!

I wonder if Lilly and Patty will remember each other. Lilly was my herd queen before my meanies showed up. They're gone now so I wonder if she'll take over. Should be fun to watch.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My living room is half painted, with the proper color finally. Will be quite happy when that's done! Just need to get paint for the bedrooms, and a few days of painting and it'll feel like home!

Supposed to be around 50 today and sunny. I still have huge snowbanks and a majorly muddy driveway. It's been a long mud season and will be a bit longer I'm afraid!

Today I am exhausted and recovering from a major migraine. Still headachey but getting a bit better. And DD2 was up from 3-4am. Stupid molar coming in. And my older dog isn't feeling well today. Great day! Lol but I'm doing spring cleaning, and organizing clothes, all that fun stuff. I'm feeling overwhelmed with the amount of toys DD1 has but the kid is so attached to every single thing it's impossible to get rid of any. Sigh.

One week until I get my Lilly back! I was going to take next year off from breeding anyone but she wasn't bred this year so I might breed her for late babies, like May/June. I don't mind milking in the summer when it's warm and light out! I think I might let Patty's buckling stay a buck. If he gets mean with his horns he can go to the auction. I don't want horned does because the kids go in their pen with me, but I don't let them in with the bucks anyway. We shall see...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One week until I get my Lilly back! I was going to take next year off from breeding anyone but she wasn't bred this year so I might breed her for late babies, like May/June. I don't mind milking in the summer when it's warm and light out!
Yay! You're a goatie again. Well, at least partly, lol! Really glad it's going to work out to get Lilly back - she belongs with you. :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I've realized what I did wrong that made me not like it, and I'm fixing those things! So yep, goaties lol. I'll do things differently and only keep 1-2 does in milk, let them keep their babies on longer, and make personality a bigger deciding factor in culling. I ended up with bully, unfriendly milkers last year and it makes it un-fun. And I don't need gallons of milk a day, so I will make production less important than healthy, hardy, friendly goats. It'll be better I think. Still getting a kinder, of course. And I will probably keep a baby from her because it'll be a nigerian/pygmy/alpine/nubian and who isn't curious what comes from that?? Lol!! But 4 does (3 breeders, 1 retired gal) is plenty.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I will probably keep a baby from her because it'll be a nigerian/pygmy/alpine/nubian and who isn't curious what comes from that?? Lol!!
Uh, yes! A Nipyalian or Pyninupine or Alpynibian or Nupygnibian? The possibilities are endless, lol. But, it does make me wonder how the got Kinder out of Nubian/Pygmy?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time eating meat right now. And eggs. So I'm trying to find alternative ways to not be anemic, cause that'd be fun. I made a chicken casserole that tricked my anti-meat toddler into eating meat, yay! But I couldn't stomach it, so I made eggplant pizza (thanks FEM!). She loved that too. It was yummy!

We went through all DD1's toys and organized them today. I'm exhausted. The kid has toys I didn't even recognize.

Latest posts