NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader, a friend of mine bred chickens and hatched many chicks every year. He told me how people would get upset with him if refused to give away his culls, called him greedy. People see lots of birds and production, but fail to see the feed bills required to keep them all going and the graft put into producing the goods.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, exactly! Discounted price maybe but a cull bird still gives meat and/or eggs!

So my grandfather's doctor told him yesterday he is discontinuing the chemo. He is no longer strong enough for the treatments. He hasn't said if he'll be coming up this summer, but it seems unlikely. They stay in a big camper, but camper nonetheless, in a seasonal campground up here (he sold his lake house a few years ago when the taxes got out of control). He's on full time oxygen and uses a walker now, I don't think he can get around the camper. And he won't stay with my mom. I doubt he'll have much time left, stage 4 lung cancer moves fast. My daughter is going to be so upset if he doesn't come home. And she loves his wife, who won't come up here without him, so it's a double loss for her.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not surprised by any of it but it's still sad.

Off to the dentist to see if my tooth needs a filling or something worse! Let's hope for a filling, and hope they do it today and get it over with!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well they couldn't fix it today (time issues and took forever to figure out why I'm in pain), but thank goodness nothing major needed! Apparently my old dentist is (not) awesome and I need a filling taken out and replaced. Phew! No root canals for me!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH wow - glad it's not serious - but dontcha hate it when you have to pay (again) for somebody ELSES mistake!?