NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The chicks have been spending days outside and nights inside (no added heat). Supposed to be a frost tonight so that's fun. Later this week it looks like we'll put them outside full time, with heat at night. But Monday is supposed to be cold! High of 51 and rain!

Cleaned up the yard some this morning, then DD and I went to visit my parents and we hung out outside most of the day. DH worked on the turkey hoop coop and now is off fishing until dark. Hoop coop should be finished tomorrow. No sign of babies though, but I'm still hoping.

I still have a ton of random broody hens. And one hen I haven't seen in a couple of days (we have hawks all over the place so I assume she's gone).

DH said after the turkey coop is done we will work on a newnhfence for the chickens so the rooster (and hens) will be contained. He's not really a fence jumper, he's pretty heavy.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even like fish lol. Turkeys are doing great! They hang out with the chicks during the day, they all get along well. We just split them up at night because we don't have a big enough brooder for all of them. Can't even tell which one had the wonky neck issue!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Despite all the folks who warn against it, I a firm believer in raising your poults with your chicks. I think it helps them get off to a good start I believe. That and good high protein feed (a lesson I learned the hard way).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always used Blue Seal starter/grower in the higher protein (the feed store just calls it turkey starter). What happens if you don't?

We've raised turkeys with chickens and turkeys by themselves. I haven't noticed a huge difference either way. I think they eat better at first with the chicks to "teach" them how to eat though.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think it helps them get started for sure.

I used a 20% ration before, and about the time they were due to be free ranged they started dying. It all turned around when I switched feeds. They don't grow strong enough apparently, or that's how it appeared. Of course, simultaneously, my question was what do the wild ones do? We have a large wild population. No one is out there with high protein feed.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's really interesting. I'm glad I've just stuck with the high protein stuff then! There are two people at the feed store that are awesome, I can tell them what I have and their ages and they know what I need (sometimes I get overwhelmed with the poultry, they're my husband's thing lol). Except goats. I'm OCD about my goat feed:hide