NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Um I don't know totally. If I wanted them solely for wool I would get pet wethers, but I want them for meat so I need a ram and a few ewes. I'm having a horrid time choosing a breed, none of them make me happy yet lol. So it might be a while anyway!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... I think my Dominique roo might have just killed the Dominique cockerel that was living with his flock.... Something killed him while I was feeding the goats, it had only been 5 minutes since I saw him alive.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On second thought I think the dummy might have killed his dumb self. He had no visible injuries. Think he might have gotten his head stuck somewhere and broke his neck? I don't even know.... But I'm down another chicken anyway.

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Um I don't know totally. If I wanted them solely for wool I would get pet wethers, but I want them for meat so I need a ram and a few ewes. I'm having a horrid time choosing a breed, none of them make me happy yet lol. So it might be a while anyway!
@baymule has done quite a bit of research on breeds. I know she has hair sheep. But she might have thoughts on wool sheep.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I've done tons of research too. And I have an "in" with a big wig at the NH sheep and wool festival who knows someone who breeds just about everything. I just am not totally happy with any of what I've found! I'm picky.... Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I walked out into the barnyard one day and saw two roosters facing off - the next time I turned round one of 'em was doing the dead chicken dance. Didn't see it - couldn't find an injury - but he was dead, dead, dead! Another time I went to pick up a rooster that I wanted to move into a different area. Felt a huge swelling on his breast - YUCK! Turned him over and peeled back the feathers to see "something" stuck in his chest. DH and I did 'surgery' on the fella and I pulled an almost 2 inch spur out of him. Started looking at the other roo's and sure enough - one was missing a spur. Stoopid birds...

Sorry you lost a bird - you were gonna harvest him weren'tcha?

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just am not totally happy with any of what I've found! I'm picky.... Lol
Nothing wrong with being picky. That's awesome that you have an in with someone who breed sheep. What if (AFTER you have the little cherub) you go and visit that breeder? Tell them you are trying to decide which breed is a good fit for you, and ask them to convince you why you should buy their breed? "IOW, what makes each of your breeds better than all the others???"

Maybe you will learn something that you didn't know, that will give you a better idea of your ideal wool producer.

I know you are looking for wool sheep, but have you ever considered Cashmere goats? Long before we ever bought our land, we were looking at our options. We stopped at a farm, that we happened on, in So. Central PA. The lady there raised both sheep & Cashmere goats. She said that she got a higher price for the Cashmere wool, and there was definitely a market for it in her area.

They were really good looking animals
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Just a thought . . . .

Last edited: