NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grrr darn pigs! The current issue with my pig is that there's so much snow and ice that if she doesn't go away soon, she'll be able to walk right over her hog panels! Lol. We hadn't shoveled before the snow got crusty so now it's too hard to remedy that situation. Oops!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we keep pigs over the winter we shovel a path around the inside of their fence to avoid that problem but we didn't expect to have her so long so.... Never did!

DH is helping me organize all of the massive amounts of STUFF in our house. DD got a bajillion toys for Christmas, now we have baby stuff to try to make room for... We need a bigger house! I am overwhelmed with stuff.

Also need him to look at the Fedco catalog so I can finalize my order, and hope to not have to make another one. I want a small garden, he tends to want to do everything, then we get overwhelmed and it produces like garbage. I don't want that this year!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope you get that pig butchered soon! Or it will just walk out of the pen and leave!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had to laugh when I saw your I hate pigs post. I am soo with you. we took the bacon bit to the butchers last week. I told str#1 that if we didn't get him gone I was going to open the gate and just chase him off into the woods. I don't normally raise pigs except to butcher but when I bought a gilt last fall to grow out she turned out to be preggers so I had to keep her longer than I wanted to and keep this dang bacon bit boar to grow him out. I am so sick of all things pig that i'm not ever sure I can eat him for a while. the day after I said I wasn't going to raise pigs again for at least a year someone had AG hogs advertised on CL, awwww. I want to try them so bad that I almost caved in and called about them but the wiser part of me actually prevailed and I decided they would still be around next year sometime. that doesn't happen very often, usually the crazier side wins.
keep taking care of yourself. not much longer to go. how does DD1 feel about becoming a big sister? is she excited yet?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good job on not letting the crazy prevail! Lol! I am tempted by AGH's also, but we'll only do them if we breed them (they're too expensive to buy and raise to butcher, at least here). And I'm not so sure I want to breed pigs. Not with how I'm feeling about them right now at least! Lol

Dropped to - 19 last night. With wind chill it was (and still is I think), about - 35. I slept terribly last night. Happy New Year? Feeling bad for the critters but I'm doing everything I can to keep them warm.

Ordered seeds last night. I managed to keep DH from going crazy, we ended up with a manageable number of seeds. And no early garden, so I won't be planting until at least the end of May. That'll work!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on seeds! I have been stacking up the seed catalogs...someday I'll have time to look at 'em. Still having a hard time even imagining cold like you've got. Somehow it doesn't compute, lol.