Non-Electric Appliances, Tools, And Gadgets.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We have a few things for camping, like a can opener, plus we always have a hand crank one in the kitchen anyway. We have a hand crank egg beater (plus whisks) and hand crank flashlights. We have lanterns for camping, both propane and the old Coleman type. We have 2 camp stoves, one propane and one gas. We have a wood burning furnace but it works through the water heater so no power means it does a great job of heating the basement. We want to get one for upstairs too.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is a great topic! :)

We currently have:

Household
Treadle sewing machine, knitting machine, sad irons, paper making kit, grandfather clock, various antique kitchen utensils

Lighting
Oil lantern, solar flashlight, hand crank emergency radio/light

Cooking/Heating
Solar oven, camp stove, wood stove

Maintenance
Various tools for carpentry (some are antiques) and tools for metal working

Our short terms wants are: Hand pump for the well, grain grinder and generator
Long term: Solar panels

ETA: Also have antique washboards and indoor and outdoor clotheslines

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not listing what I have because I am pretty well covered. I love Lehman's. :love

But I really really really really really want a wood stove. I am not sure if our cheapo builder grade metal box fireplace would even work for one. I have thought about just putting it on my patio. I look all the time but have not found exactly what I need.

I would like a solar oven, but I am sure my dutch oven would suffice.

g

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
4 small wood burning stoves for heating purposes
1 Home Comfort wood burning stove for cooking
Numerous oil lanterns and candles
Numerous tools for woodworking and gardening
Numerous small kitchen gadgets
Manual can opener
Food mill
Meat grinder
2 coffee grinders
2 washboards
Ax and hatchet
Generator
Large quantity of fishing apparatus and guns (I think that should count as "tools") :D

A lot of the items listed above are antique but work great.

Want:
Crank flashlights and radio
Solar oven
Coffee pot

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DesertChick said:

We currently have:

Household
Treadle sewing machine, knitting machine, sad irons, paper making kit, grandfather clock, various antique kitchen utensils
What's a sad iron? One of those old heat-on-the-stove kinds? I have a couple of them, but I'd probably go wrinkled. Oh wait! I'm already wrinkled! :D

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
By a hand powered drill, do you guys mean a brace and bit?

We mostly have hand powered kitchen appliances- food mill, popcorn popper, coffee grinder, french press, pasta maker, mortar and pestle, etc. I wanted a hand crank grain mill, but we had an electric one just given to us, so we are using that, at least for now. We also have a Kitchen Aid with a zillion attachments. I want to replace our Cuisinart (also given to us) with a hand crank blender, and I will once it dies. That's it though- no microwave or toaster or anything else really- we have a chest fridge, a gas range, a dishwasher, the KA and the waiting-to-be-replaced Cuisinart and grain mill.

I really, really want a clothes wringer and a giant salad spinner. The mop wringer just doesn't cut it.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also really want someone to convert my electric Singer to a treadle. Next time we drive through Amish country, I'm taking it to see if I can hire someone there to do it.

S

sunsaver

The drill i have consists of a chuck, a drill bit, a "u" shaped crank shaft with a wooden ball on top. You grab the ball, and crank the cam shaft around with your other hand. You can drill through wood, metal, etc.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
DesertChick said:

We currently have:

Household
What's a sad iron? One of those old heat-on-the-stove kinds? I have a couple of them, but I'd probably go wrinkled. Oh wait! I'm already wrinkled! :D
:gig Yep, sad irons are heated on the stove. I'd probably use my irons if I was ever invited to a formal event---I'd be able to add creases to my jeans. :D