Non-Electric Appliances, Tools, And Gadgets.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HAVE: We have a grain mill, meat grinder, oil press (haven't tried it yet, just got it), can openers and church keys, several whisks and graters and mashers, apple peeler/corer/slicer, bean frencher, pasta machine, one Aladdin lamp and lots of candles, a hand cranked doohickey that has a flashlight, radio, and it will recharge batteries, we have a charcoal grill and an old propane camp stove with a camp oven, treadle sewing machine, Wonder Wash pressure washer for laundry, some hand tools (although not a complete set) for woodwork and gardening, a lovely antique drip coffee maker, cast iron waffle maker, indoor and outdoor wash lines

WANT: I won't feel secure until we have some kind of heat for winter- either a wood stove or at the very least a kerosene stove, we have the plans for a window heater, but our windows all open sideways and the plans use a vertical opening window, so those are also on my list, and a hand pump for the well. I'd also like a manual clock, a tortilla press and ice cream maker. Solar panels are difficult because we are surrounded by trees, and all the land that gets sun is earmarked for gardens.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a manual can opener ( I don't get along with the electric one) LOL...( Have Wisk) but would love a hand crank egg beater any suggestions where to order a good one ??? I remember my grandma lester had one don't know what happened to it...
would also like to get a good hand crank grain mill and meat grinder..

also on the wish list;
dehydartor
solar oven
cast iron dutch oven
crank flash lights

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I have a wash tub with drain and water plumbed in, an ice box with a drain and p-trap, hand powered drill, a food mill, and hand-powered egg beater. I also have a passive solar water heater, wood-burning stove, and kerosene lanterns. I still have a long wish list of non-electric gadgets, including a clothes wringer for starters. What non-electric devices do you own, or wish you owned for self suffieciency purposes?
I've got a bunch of old hand woodworking, mechanics' and plumbers' tools, garden tools, masonry tools (I can mix mortar or cement in a wheelbarrow) - plus gravity-feed water system that's not dependent on private or publicly owned pumping systems. Probably also a number of things that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

But sunsaver, I'm wondering what prompted the question? you were thinking of?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
The drill i have consists of a chuck, a drill bit, a "u" shaped crank shaft with a wooden ball on top. You grab the ball, and crank the cam shaft around with your other hand. You can drill through wood, metal, etc.
For reasons unknown that is known as a Brace and they were even made out of wood at one time ~100 years back.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah a brace and bit...I just call them a drill :p I still haven't found one.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yeah a brace and bit...I just call them a drill :p I still haven't found one.
Two reasons the people that still have them won't give them up and the antique tool hunters just love them. I think they are still being made try a search under 'brace and bit' the price may be shocking. you could get 3 cheap rechargable drills for about the same money

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
a great place to find a brace is the used stuff malls.... the places where they rent booths by the month to folks. i have found 2 or 3 braces around here, in these "malls". there's almost always at least one booth devoted to vintage tools. these places are great for old school kitchen appliances as well. the braces ran me about $15 each, crank style beater, $2. great deals. i've been in the building trades most of my life, when i apprenticed, i wasnt allowed to use a power saw until i mastered a hand saw.

doc

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
doc_gonzo said:
a great place to find a brace is the used stuff malls.... the places where they rent booths by the month to folks. i have found 2 or 3 braces around here, in these "malls". there's almost always at least one booth devoted to vintage tools. these places are great for old school kitchen appliances as well. the braces ran me about $15 each, crank style beater, $2. great deals. i've been in the building trades most of my life, when i apprenticed, i wasnt allowed to use a power saw until i mastered a hand saw.

doc
Yup, around here they are called "antique malls" but you can also often find these things at permanent "flea markets" that are set up similarly. We've picked up a meat grinder, egg beater, lots of old Pyrex, and a few hand tools from places like this :)