not how i would design a survival shelter

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
200 people???
Sounds like the perfect breeding ground for infestation and disease!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I once dreamed that if ever I purchased some property I would build a small bunker. I put that idea down to my cold war days and figure I'd stay here and do what I can without drawing attention to myself. Although I still collect Russian military stuff, the cold war days are now long gone.

I see the point of having locked/secured safes to keep desirables such as weapons and ammo out of the hands of the wrong people. The current BBC series Survivor is interesting how folks might dwell above ground after TSHTF type of crisis.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm.... My thoughts of a bunker was more of a concrete hole in the gound with a port-a-pot and MREs and hope fully a short stay!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
I see the point of having locked/secured safes to keep desirables such as weapons and ammo out of the hands of the wrong people. The current BBC series Survivor is interesting how folks might dwell above ground after TSHTF type of crisis.
yeah, have a safe for that kind of stuff makes some sense. but the banking counter still baffles me. this whole thing seems like it's set up to work like a shopping mall with a hotel in it- i mean, who do they think is going to man all these counters while they watch movies on all those tvs?

Survivors is an AWESOME show. i almost posted something about it when it first came on, then i realized i was always posting things about tv shows, so i didn't. but it's great. the first episode had a scene where Abby, one of the main characters (in case someone hasn't seen it), is talking to the only person left alive at the camp her son was at. she asks him if he's going to go to London now and he tells her that he's going to find a farm somewhere, grow a garden and raise some animals. he asks her "have you ever killed a chicken? cause that's the kind of stuff we're going to need to know now." it was a wonderful SS moment.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Could that perhaps be a sign out desk for items, much like a military unit Armor would have? However you make a great point in why the desk area in the first place! Back in Newport News VA they have these concrete dome bunkers in the Industrial Park that were once used my the Army to move equipment around at night. They were last used in the 1950s and since the property was sold. One company bought the land and did nothing for years. We would go to those bunkers and explore them once in a while. They land has since been zoned and parted out to many owners. Only one remained and was posted when I moved from there.

While in England I visited a few dozen bunkers from WW2. When we went to France I visited some German WW2 bunkers they were said to be 80% intact from the day they fled them when the Allies were pushing through.

I also visited what was once Jefferson labs which is a underground facility that does something with atom splitting.

I have also watch lots of shows on bunkers as I have always been interested in them.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score