Nourishing Traditions

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So Sylvie.....how's your cholesterol now? and what are you doing to keep it in check.
My mom just told me that her cholesterol is high and I am not sure how to advise her.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Tell her to have the PARTICLE SIZE TESTED. Without that test her numbers are MEANINGLESS.

You can have high LDL and be at risk for heart disease OR you can have high LDL and be at NO risk simply because of the size of the LDL.

What raised the dangerous LDL (VLDL) is a diet high in sugars, fruit juice, high fructose corn syrup and refined carbohydrates.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My ex PC physician was unhappy with my 210 total cholesterol and talked me into a statin drug. Her sales pitch was : "it's so great that they want to put it into the water supply"! I kid you not- that was verbatim! I thought she made that up to convince me of the universal statin acceptance.
There was a wacko in britain that wanted to do that. It wasn't just her making stuff up.

Statins for women are WORSE than useless. The ONYL class that is helped by statin drugs are men under 55 who have already had a heart attack.

Here is a great site about statins...
www.spacedoc.net

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I really want information rather than hype, and since you all are such a down-to-earth bunch I thought you'd be good ones to ask! I would have just looked at the book myself, but I all the library copies have been checked out or on holds for a while. I will probably just buy it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The grocery store had two choices, low fat or no fat.
I HATE that! It has been happening more and more in the grocery store dairy departments. Low-fat, no-fat, reduced fat.....ARG! I am also having a hard time getting cream that isn't ultra-pasteurized. I used to be able to get it at Walmart. Now they no longer carry it. Even Vitamin Cottage and Whole Foods have nothing but UP cream. I WANT MY CREAM DAMMIT!!!!

I need a cow
You and me both. I am making a pledge to myself to seriously look for sources for the dairy products I want. The Co-op has pasteurized cream (which I hope is a little better than UP-at least the NT books says so, It's from a small local dairy too.) But the only buttermilk in the Co-op is also labeled low fat. Is buttermilk naturally low fat. Is there such a thing as whole buttermilk? Inquiring minds want to know!

ETA: a quick search shows that yes there is such a thing. Since commercial buttermilk is now made by adding lactic acid bacteria to milk, the classification depends on what type of milk was used. Now to find a source.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are really two types of buttermilk....the watery, almost non-fat stuff that is left over after making butter, which is made with cream. Then there is cultured buttermilk, which is made by adding cultures to milk similar to making yogurt or kefir. This is what you usually find in the store. I don't know why it is called buttermilk, though.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Sat in my friend's sheep pasture in the warm sunshine looking through the book with her. She's buying her own copy tomorrow. She's heard about it through her naturopath. She's been gluten free for over a year now and wanted to see how much of the book she could use. She found there was a lot of information she wanted to read more about and she knew better than to ask to borrow my copy :lol:
Got a few ideas for more things I want to try.
Next will be pickled daikon.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Found creme fraiche at Whole Foods but was disappointed that they had the same yucky buttermilk as everyone else. I buy Kate's Homemade butter (from Maine) and the box says they now have buttermilk, but no one around here has it yet. At any rate I have creme fraiche to start my own now.
I finally started my daikon pickles today.