Nourishing Traditions

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
ntentionally eatin bugs is not something most folks enjoy
I feed the bugs to the birds and in return they give me eggs. Win win!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
There's a plan!! :cool:
I had issues with the good fat discussion last night after church Dace. I could tell I wasn't going to get anywhere. Being overweight still doesn't add to my argument. But when the weight is off and I can say I did it by cutting carbs and eating protein and fat maybe a few will pay more attention.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Wifezilla said:
I had issues with the good fat discussion last night after church Dace. I could tell I wasn't going to get anywhere. Being overweight still doesn't add to my argument. But when the weight is off and I can say I did it by cutting carbs and eating protein and fat maybe a few will pay more attention.
I was hoping that would work for me but now people think it is because I am (sort of) tri training. Swimming 3 x a week plus riding a bike and attempting to jog....the truth is that all of this exercise has made me more toned but I really don't have anymore weight to lose, so that is still the same!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Dace said:
Henrietta23 said:
Wifezilla said:
I was hoping that would work for me but now people think it is because I am (sort of) tri training. Swimming 3 x a week plus riding a bike and attempting to jog....the truth is that all of this exercise has made me more toned but I really don't have anymore weight to lose, so that is still the same!
Yeah, I could see that being a problem. Like the argument I almost had with the woman who insists that Splenda is natural. I could spew facts at her until I'm blue in the face and she isn't going to hear the message. I had my stevia packets at church this morning and got into a discussion with a couple of people. Some were honestly interested and some just thought I was a little off my rocker. :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And you are gonna stay off your rocker right into your golden years, because you will be so active and healthy that you won't have time for your rocker! :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
And you are gonna stay off your rocker right into your golden years, because you will be so active and healthy that you won't have time for your rocker! :D
LOL, good point. My feet haven't felt this good in a year or more!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
No Vitamin Cottage that I know of.

Whole Foods is the only place in town that sells raw milk. I want to give it a try, I wanted to do it in our kefir, but at 16 oz a day, that is just too spendy.
The protein powder is only mixed in 4 oz of milk, so that seems like a better way to do it.
Hey, Dace, you may be able to find a better price for raw milk here: http://www.organicpastures.com/ They ship UPS and have direct sales in some places, which is cheaper than paying the store markup.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have been arguing the fat issue with people for years. It is so frustrating. At least SO is finally seeing reason.
This whole nonfat diet thing is of very recent history. If humans were meant to not eat animal fat, we wouldn't have survived all these thousand of years eating it! Why are we changing our diet so dramatically in the last 100 or so years? It just has never made sense to me.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Lady H...gonna check that out!

Yes, I stuck my foot in my mouth yet again yesterday ...someone just slap me :smack

My BIL has high blood pressure. He was bitching about controlling his BP and his meds. I had to ask if he couldn't at least help the situation thru diet. I about got my head bit off...'I have always eaten healthy, salads, lots of vegetable, very little red meat, nothing out of a box (ok, but what about cans?) no fast food..blah blah blah'
TO which I delicately replied...'yeah but you drink a lot of diet soda, and consume veggies oils and low fat foods.'

He snipped back, 'well it is hereditary, and a lot of people say cut out the alcohol (Heavy consumption here) but that is not it!'

I don't really know if there is anything he can do at this point, but I know for dang sure that I am not going to let my husband end up with a blood pressure cuff at home and on meds...well IF I can help it that is!!

So...can someone set me straight here? I am guessing that BIL is jacked up to the point of no recovery....but for my hubby who is likely prone to HBP, but does not have it, what in particular can we do to prevent it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Keep doing what you are doing and remember that the charts and graphs that are used to determine when to medicate for high blood pressure are like the ones for cholesterol levels.....not necessarily connected to health. I'm talking the lower numbers, not way off the charts, though.