Nourishing Traditions

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've only seen the Kate's buttermilk up in Scarboro, Maine. It isn't even down in the stores near us in southwestern Maine.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I've only seen the Kate's buttermilk up in Scarboro, Maine. It isn't even down in the stores near us in southwestern Maine.
Hopefully soon. I'm contacting Big Y and Whole Foods and asking that they carry it since they already carry the butter.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, you all convinced me -- I bought the book. I didn't only get one copy, I got two -- I decided my SIL needed one too. (She loves nutrition/health books but lacks the skepticism gene, so she tends to believe a lot of what she reads, even if far-fetched. I thought this would be a good one to add to her collection.)

Now where to begin? I suppose a trip down to the raw milk supplier would be an easy start.....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
2dream said:
I just ordered a copy from Amazon. I can't wait to read this. Don't guess I will be posting on the How Did You Save Today forum. LOL
I just read this, and had to tell you that you will save far more then you may realize :)
That $25 investment will reap you massive savings!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
Okay, you all convinced me -- I bought the book. I didn't only get one copy, I got two -- I decided my SIL needed one too. (She loves nutrition/health books but lacks the skepticism gene, so she tends to believe a lot of what she reads, even if far-fetched. I thought this would be a good one to add to her collection.)

Now where to begin? I suppose a trip down to the raw milk supplier would be an easy start.....
Start anywhere that is convenient for you and that appeals to you......just start!

One of the important things is fats, though, because so much of what we have been eating by way of fats and oils......oh, so wrong and oh, so bad for us. Eliminate modern veg oils and trans/hydrogenated fats and add in good animal fats and saturated fats.

Raw milk from pastured animals is a great start.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I started with the switch to raw milk, then made my own yogurt. I gave kefir grains a try but didn't do well there. Now I'm up to making my own creme fraiche and lacto-fermented daikon. It's a radical change for me so it's a slow process!

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Wifezilla said:
I am sure they did. There are plenty of "recipes" out there for cooking bugs.
(Now I'm curious here, has anyone here ever eaten bugs?)
Ate 'em, like'd em, love'd em. Would I do it again? I ain't starvin yet... intentionally eatin bugs is not something most folks enjoy I am assuming :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have two question for our NT pros.....

First...how do you even broach the subject of saturated fats in a conversation? For example, BBCake. It is a healthy alternative, with healthy fats....those with the low fat mindset see that as an diet bomb with all the eggs and butter.
It is just such an in depth subject I have trouble trying to explain it in a 30 second 'elevator pitch' to family and friends. I tried last night at a dinner party then quickly realized I was not getting anywhere and shut up! :gig

Secondly....Hubby is training for a marathon. I did a small amount of research (mostly Marks Daily Apple) about protein powder and came up with a whey powder that is low heat processed. I am thinking of buying some raw milk to mix it with but raw milk is very expensive here. $10 for 2 qts. It the protein powder going to be ok to mix with the raw milk or will it somehow kill the good enzymes & bacteria?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Not sure Dace. People have been so brainwashed even scientific papers and SEVERAL MILLION YEARS OF EVOLUTION wont get people to listen. For the biblical types, I like pointing out that god had no regard for fruit of the ground, but instead preferred a good fatty mutton :D

They don't listen.

I have friends just barely in their 40's on statins. Then they get strange symptoms and cut their fat down to zero thinking it is all that "evil fat". All the while they are destroying their health thinking they are making it better.
:barnie

I don't see how the protein powder would destroy anything. I can't get raw milk, but I can get "gently pasteurized". It is a bit cheaper. Do you have a vitamin cottage near you? Farmer's Creamery brand is very good.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
No Vitamin Cottage that I know of.

Whole Foods is the only place in town that sells raw milk. I want to give it a try, I wanted to do it in our kefir, but at 16 oz a day, that is just too spendy.
The protein powder is only mixed in 4 oz of milk, so that seems like a better way to do it.