Nourishing Traditions

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The soy debate, of course, also the fact that we are more conscientious about insects in our food these days. Vegetarian people 100+ years ago ate way more bugs (protein & animal fat!) than their modern counterparts.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
The soy debate, of course, also the fact that we are more conscientious about insects in our food these days. Vegetarian people 100+ years ago ate way more bugs (protein & animal fat!) than their modern counterparts.
Blech! :sick I just threw up a little in my mouth!

Interesting point though...did they know they were eating bugs?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: It used to gross me out when I was a kid and my mom's lettuce had a bug here or there. :p Of course, the manure she added to the soil weirded me out too. :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am sure they did. There are plenty of "recipes" out there for cooking bugs.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am sure they did. There are plenty of "recipes" out there for cooking bugs.
For some reason intentionally cooked bugs don't scare me as much as cooking bugs unintentionally.

(Now I'm curious here, has anyone here ever eaten bugs?)

I knew bugs had protein, but fat, well I guess I never thought about it.

After living in Houston, TX I would be happy to never see another bug as long as I live.

Spiders I can handle, but insects are "on my LIST":barnie!!!

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
(Now I'm curious here, has anyone here ever eaten bugs?)
I've eaten crickets. They had the wings and legs removed and were roasted. Tasted like peanuts with a strange texture. I've also had them in toffee, they added extra crunch.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had crickets and mealworm cookies. They were an experiment and weren't all that bad, but the thought is what is so bad... Yeuch :sick

Check this out - http://www.manataka.org/page160.html

It was actually mentioned (unless I am badly mistaken which is possible because I read too many books at the same time!) in Nourishing Traditions. I remember jumping up and yelling to DH "I was right about the bugs!!"

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
As for soy in the diet, I'm living proof that it isn't always good for you, it threw my thyroid into a tizzy until I figured it out. I eat meat, I need to eat it, and I've learned over the years to listen to my body closely, it gives you all kinds of clues.

I'm a little upset about the oils, especially cooking oils, from what I've read in there, I'll be more conscious about them from now on. I need to buy some EVOO, and despite what I've read from other sources, I'll be buying a large bottle from a good source and keeping it in the cupboard, from what I've read here it will keep well as long as it's protected.

We're off to see the gardens today, here's a link to what we'll be seeing today.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wasn't mistaken. Its on page 26 of the introduction. About the 3rd or 4th paragraph down.

Reinbeau, I tossed out all the oils I had, except my EVOO (which was a cold pressed one! Yay!) After reading the section on oils, just the thought of eating it made my stomach turn. Granted, we don't fry much, so a bottle will usually last us a while, but somehow, that seems even worse. Not only are the oils rancid to begin with and solvent tainted, but I take so long to use them, that I might as well just eat motor oil... Ick

What an experience! That bridge is so peaceful. Lucky reinbeau :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The oils at my house consist of EVOO, virgin coconut oil, lard, and ghee. Ghee lasts for months without refrigeration and is easy to make. It's great for frying.