Nourishing Traditions

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
O.k. what would you use for salad dressings? How do you know when extra virgin o. oil is rancid?

Have fun reinbeau! That looks like fun!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Good question! I used to use flax (way expensive) and EVOO in my dressings.

I've got a copy of this book on hold at my local library and can't wait to read it! Maybe winter would be a better time to settle in for a good read and think about how to modify my family's diet. Sounds interesting!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
O.k. what would you use for salad dressings? How do you know when extra virgin o. oil is rancid?

Have fun reinbeau! That looks like fun!
You should use EV olive oil for dressings. It is one of the purer forms as it comes form the first pressing of the olives, then we downgrade to Virgin and then plain ol' olive oil.

OO will pick up a slightly odd smell when rancid, but you can store it in your fridge to help it keep longer. It may cloud but that is perfectly fine.

Like Noobie, I chucked aside margarine years ago...at least I have a hint of common sense. My friends DD is 15 and quite a bit overweight. She has been working with a trainer but is having a hard time giving up the processed foods that she loves, you know that 'going on a diet' mindset?
I am going to loan her my NT to read, I think it will help shift her way of thinking about food.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This book is fascinating. I am literally reading every page, every little blurb along the side, and learning so much! I encourage all of you to get a copy somehow and spend some time exploring it. I am going to find a local source for raw milk, I think I've found some a few towns away, and start working on some of the dairy stuff (making my own whey, Piima cream, yogurt, buttermilk). The first thing I'm going to try from my garden will be Ginger Carrots (see page 95).

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just went out and bought the book. I had a 40% off coupon. It is the only time I buy a book new and it has to be one I am not likely to find at the Goodwill store. :lol:
I think Free should get a percentage of the sales :lol:
I have been eating more and more "real" food for some time. I had wondered for years, why American foods taste so different from the foods I grew up with in Germany. We were poor and my mother had to make a lot from scratch. Also back then there were no supermarkets. You went to the dairy store, the bakery, the butcher, the greengrocer etc. All these places made real food usually at the location. The yogurt was the same consistency as the yougurt I make now. Milk was unpasturized and unhomogenized. My mother bought soured milk. This is milk that has gone sour. No culture added to it. We would drink it either with sugar added or salt and pepper added.
The food also did not have any corn product added to it. No corn syrup anywhere. It's probably why I often by Mexican soda and sweets. They taste better to me.

I am so looking forward to reading this book.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
7th in line for the library book

:tap tap tap tap:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm loving it too. I swear everytime I pick it up I find a little side note or something I didn't see before. There's information everywhere! And it all makes a lot of sense to me.
I hope you can find the milk! Now that I know when it's delivered to our food co-op I've scheduled my weekends around shopping there. I am making yogurt with some tomorrow.
If you're ever in the Willimantic CT area you'd be all set!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Denise, I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on it, especially with your differing experiences from another country/culture (no pun intended! :) )

ETA Wow, we're all replying at the same time! I am interested in all your thoughts, really, and I can't wait until we actually are making some of these recipes! My niece came over tonight and she's onboard will coming over and cooking with me (she loves to cook). This is going to be fun! I'm hoping to share with my sister (niece's mother) and my mother, if I make too much I can pass it along.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
7th in line for the library book

:tap tap tap tap:
Oh man! Glad it's catching on but not at your expense, having to wait for it. I have a friend who wants to borrow mine but I had to tell her honestly that I've got my nose in it constantly. I don't think I can part with it! So we looked it over together after church today and she decided she just had to buy it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I just went out and bought the book. I had a 40% off coupon. It is the only time I buy a book new and it has to be one I am not likely to find at the Goodwill store. :lol:
I think Free should get a percentage of the sales :lol:
I have been eating more and more "real" food for some time. I had wondered for years, why American foods taste so different from the foods I grew up with in Germany.
That is a great idea! Everyone who bought the book, quick, send me $5! :gig

I can't believe I missed this thread. It took place while I was away from the computer for three days. Sheesh.

FD, I came across a study that shows that our foods are more "starchy" now than they were some years ago, because of the hybrids, genetic modification, and farming practices. I have been buying mostly heirloom seeds and plants, now I will buy ONLY heirloom.

reinbeau, kefir is amazing. If you come out this way, let me know. I will put you on my list! H23 is before you, though. My grains are finally growing nicely. I experimented and made two quarts at once this week, and it worked great. So I am ready to give some away.

eta: I read the book cover-to-cover twice. It is my most referred-to book on an almost daily basis for recipes and ideas. I plan to read it again this winter, cover-to-cover. I just "discovered" the corned beef recipe....I'd been looking for a chemical-free recipe, and there it was, under my nose this whole time!!! There is FAR too much info to take it all in....it is a MUST own book, imo!

Keep those $5 checks coming! :D