Nourishing Traditions

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I may actually be all set. Mine seems to have survived my being away for 4 days. :cool:

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oooh, Free, I feel a road trip coming on! :) I drive further than that to go to nurseries with Mom!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh...ignore my pm! I guess I forgot/didn't know you found some!
No problem! I'm going to check to see if they're alive and growing. I'm not sure really that what I've made isn't just milk that soured from being in 75 degree air over night, ya know? :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Oooh, Free, I feel a road trip coming on! :) I drive further than that to go to nurseries with Mom!
Then you can definitely go to Willimantic for raw milk too! ;)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good plan - but I found a dairy in West Bridgewater, about ten miles from me, I'm going to call them tomorrow. I want the milk to sour, not go bad, and in this heat.....but I could check it out! I put a lot of miles on a car, I'll tell you ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh that sounds much more doable!
Checked my grains. They seem to be fine. Don't know for sure if they're growing but there do seem to be more? So feel free to bump someone ahead of me. If these fail I'll ask to be put back on the list. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just caught up....keep me posted. We love kefir here! Once we got used to it, that is. The dog loves it, too. Mya, my dairy goat, is having some mild digestive stuff lately, so I will get some good beasties into her, too. It is now not just food, but medicine cabinet for us. So cool. Easier than yogurt, too.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Am I on your kefir grain list? If not, I'd like to be. Or on someones list anyhow.
I have been perusing this book all evening and am just thrilled with it. As broke as I am, I am sooo glad I bought it today. I have found all kinds of recipes for stuff I always wanted to make without the chemical crap. I have to make a new batch of yogurt tomorrow, so I can get some more whey. I want to make fermented carrots and the fermented ginger.
SO and I have also been talking of bringing ready made food to FIL & MIL. They are both overweight and in poor health. We know they don't eat very healthy. They eat out more often than not. We also know that they have appreciated it in the past, when we brought them ready made stuff. I figure I'll make more and more stuff out of this book and bring that to them, like the fermented foods and such. They follow the traditional diet as prescibed by their doctors, sort of. They eat lots of white bread and cakes and sweets and stuff. But then they don't eat real eggs, real milk or any stuff like that. I figure if I make a cucumber salad with whole fat yogurt dressing, all homemade or homegrown, it'll be a sneaky way to get some good enzymes into them. ;)
Last year I kept making fresh tomato salsa and bringing it to them by the bowl full.
I am looking forward to making all this delicous and nutritious food.
Free, the check is in the mail :lol:

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Good plan - but I found a dairy in West Bridgewater, about ten miles from me, I'm going to call them tomorrow. I want the milk to sour, not go bad, and in this heat.....but I could check it out! I put a lot of miles on a car, I'll tell you ;)
You really want RAW MILK and not pasteurized product for kefir. If you can't find a good quality dairy source email me and I may be able to help find you a local source. Ask a lot of questions at the dairy concerning WHAT they feed the cows. All that good work to get healthy can go right out the window if you pull from the wrong dairy. Some of the garbage allowed in dairy and beef rations these days is just frightening.