Obama finally called them out

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Blue Skys said:
Good points! (I was just joking about the conspiracy)
Gotcha. My comments were for those who might actually think some of your points made a good case for a gov't conspiracy :D

As for changing the health of this country, I haven't heard anything about prevention. I thought the tobacco settlements were a good start and I love seeing the tremendously high cost of cigarettes these days. I haven't read the latest stats on smoking rates. Don't know what this plan has to offer for prevention.

Either way, prevention based or treatment based, I want people to get treated. Early treatment is a prevention of its own type compared to later treatment. Even if someone could have prevented diabetes, it is going to be cheaper and more humane to catch it early than to wait until amputations, blindness and other horrors.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
me&thegals said:
Many doctors at my clinic really TRY to get people to make better choices. People don't want to, most of them. It is easier to ask a doctor to fix your problems than do the hard work of preventing them. I think it's just a national attitude problem.
And the difficulty is that it is in the best financial interests of companies to get you to buy their products, healthy for you or not, so they advertise and promote them with waaaaaay more money than the gummint could EVER possibly spend on promoting a lifestyle *not* based on those sorts of products.

I have no idea what to do about it, but that, as I see it, is the bottom-line *problem*.

Pat
That and people who run to the doctor at every sniffle or cough. It's amazing that people don't know how to treat a cold without going to the doctor for antibiotics that don't work anyway, but the doctor still prescribes them.

Or parents who diagnose their children with ADD and take them to the doctor for medicine, but fail to realize that if they fed their kids nutritious foods, not processed, fried junk, they would see a change in that child's behavior (this statement does not include the children who actually have a medical condition.)

It's supply and demand, Americans are demanding, so the doctors and pharm. companies supply, and a ridiculous amount, because they will pay.

We (Americans) as consumers can take a stand and combat the ever rising costs of health care (further explanation of a staement I mad earlier). But, that would take effort and nobody wants to do that... :hu

me&thegals

Reaction score
Blue Skys said:
That and people who run to the doctor at every sniffle or cough. It's amazing that people don't know how to treat a cold without going to the doctor for antibiotics that don't work anyway, but the doctor still prescribes them.
This drives me a little nutty. Stay home, people, rest, hydrate and eat well! That's all the doctor is going to tell you. And please don't beg for antibiotics that we all know won't work.

Or parents who diagnose their children with ADD and take them to the doctor for medicine, but fail to realize that if they fed their kids nutritious foods, not processed, fried junk, they would see a change in that child's behavior (this statement does not include the children who actually have a medical condition.)
This is interesting. I am going to have to possibly start another thread on it. Take my word when I say I almost never take my kids to the doctor--basically just well visits because I love my doctor and love my kids, and we all have about an hour to sit around and talk about them :)

However, I am starting to seriously suspect my kids may have ADD. They have NO dyes, preservatives (except salt) or junky food in their diets. I don't buy prepackaged, processed anything. They have lots of time outside, lots of rest, good, whole organic food. I'm in the middle of reading about this and talking to as many people as I can. I am always suspicious of medication, but I want to get the whole picture and be as open to different ideas as possible.

Okay, time to get back on topic.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yes, that is another aspect of "industries that can spend waaaaay more on promotion and advertising than the gummint would ever be able to". The pharmaceutical industry is even better than food industries at finding multiple sneaky ways to spend money to convince us all to buy as many of their products as possible. Sigh.

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just take cancer. How many different kinds. Is everyone with cancer obese? I know diabetics thinner than rails. Please.....I know obesity is a problem that leads to others. BUT there are millions of reasons people (fat and skinny) need doctors. Again--That statement doesn't work for me to warrant not changing the healthcare system radically.

BUT I so agree with everyone.

The food, actions, ads, etc. of this country is getting bad. Heck in France (those so called always thin french girls) are getting fat!!!! Any country who can purchase with money power will eventually be this way...all countries are heading this way. Heck 1/2 of Britian is obese.

But while all those others are getting obese and are obese in other countries....france and britian have universal care and they have healthier populations than us in general. We don't rank high on health care in this world...even though we are one of the wealthiest nations.

You can't say
Here is a carrot, eat and you will be healthy, don't see a doctor.
It doesn't work that way.

I wish the nation would catch on board. If not for the already fat parents, for the kids. They learn by example. What rotten lives to show your kids...to stuff twinkies, soda, etc. Horrible but there is education starting. More and more are jumping into a healthy way....very slow but sure. Look at the SS board. Gardens galore, people in small homes ith container gardens...etc.

Who knows what the world of cheap food will do to every nation. Attack it yes, use it as an excuse not to provide medical care cause of eating habits, nope.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know those pharma ads....OH--the glory of the pill. We can fix any problem with this pill........where they lose me is the end.

disclaimer---do not use if pregnant or have blue eyes. do not use if you suspect liver problems or have a green car. both can cause cadiac problems while using this medicine. fainting, dizziness, vomiting, getting the poops or double vision, or muscle fatigure, see your doctor cause this could be signs of a more serious nature. A small number of fatalities have happend wtih this medicine. but since we told you all this, when you die you can't sue us.

UGH

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
You know those pharma ads....OH--the glory of the pill. We can fix any problem with this pill........where they lose me is the end.

disclaimer---do not use if pregnant or have blue eyes. do not use if you suspect liver problems or have a green car. both can cause cadiac problems while using this medicine. fainting, dizziness, vomiting, getting the poops or double vision, or muscle fatigure, see your doctor cause this could be signs of a more serious nature. A small number of fatalities have happend wtih this medicine. but since we told you all this, when you die you can't sue us.

UGH
Use of this medication will lead to 10 more deseases that will require medication, that will lead to 10 different deseases, and so on a so forth... :/ :lol: :rolleyes:

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
if it were a takeover than we would have universal care tomorrow...no choice point blank.
That is EXACTLY what they tried to do. Remember the original August "deadline"?
If they use the nuclear option to enact the bill we'll know then that they were bent on it anyway they could - they'll ram it down our throats at that point.

If you don't know what the nuclear option is, google it.

Another thing I would do is ban all pharmaceutical advertisements. I don't want to be told to tell my doctor this or that so I can take a pill - my doctor should already know what I need and what I'm taking. The pharmaceutical industry spends more on advertisements than they do development - that's ridiculous. Australia banned ads and they're still making money.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Sounds okay to me--but isn't that a freedom of speech issue? Wouldn't that be government takeover of the ad industry and more gov't intervention, which you don't want?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla, may I ask you a question? Purely from curiosity. You say you are uninsured, and do not wish to be insured. What is your plan if you do find yourself with a diagnosis of cancer? Or if you are involved in an accident with severe injuries? The only thing I can think of would be that you must have a very large "cushion" in your savings to be able to face that fairly real possibility without qualm. Or, perhaps like an elderly woman I knew, you feel that if the worst happens you would not want to be treated?

Latest posts