Official SS Goat Thread

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ha! Thank you OFG! I was looking for that link in my favorites but couldn't find it.

Hey... um.. gee.

Do you think you could like, you know, go outside and snuggle one of those adorable babies just for me? My mama goats don't like me bending over and hugging on their tummies all that much.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am about to transplant all my chives. Will the goats eat chives? I got to figure out where I am going to plant them.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Mine would eat them, then give me chive-scented milk. :sick
That sounds horrendous!

ksalvango, I want to know exactly why one of your goats has my name! What an unfortunate coincedence :lol:
I rarely eat tree bark or pants legs, btw.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
What, you don't like chivey milk? :lol:

That's funny Occam.

When we first got one of the goats, Libby, my mom was emailing my aunt about it. My mom is a horrid typist, I'll have you know. She said something like 'I named her Libby Merle really likes her' or something similar. My aunt pointed it out, and ever since then the goat has been dubbed "Libby Merle". :lol:

Oh guys, when all of my goat stories get old and sickening, you'll have to tell me to stop because I could probably go on forever.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great thread!! I too have lots of questions...to start..these 2 little cuties I got from the pound...are they Nigerian dwarfs...or Pygmys?? They stand about 16 inches at the back. Also...I have no idea when Pebbles is due...how will I know she is getting close? She has little tiny milk bags...they fit in the palm of my hand. :lol:
Here is Pebbles...she is such a sweetie!!!
99_pebbles2.jpg

And BamBam. Not sure if he is the daddy...but he will be one day! LOL
99_pygmybuck.jpg

This is Cal. He is a little snot..but loveable too.
99_dsc_0880.jpg

And...meet Coal the scaredy cat...but sweet..
and Casper, the friendly goat. :lol: He really is the friendliest goat of them all.
99_dsc_0876.jpg

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, guess I'll replant the chives inside the garden.

SO finally figured out the really big plus for him in this deal: I am responsible for fencing the goats in!!!! which means that two legged thieves will have to cross the goat fence!! before they can get into the rest of the field. At least from that section of the yard, which is the one we have had the most problems with. :lol: Off to do nitty gritty research on fencing our yard for goats.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Occam, that is too funny. I only named Keturah, Katriel and Tamara. The rest were already named when I bought them.

Just - you may have NIgerians. They don't look like Pygmies to me. But, I could be wrong. At least Pebbles looks like a Nigerian. Not positive on BamBam.

The little goat babies are sooo much fun. I spend time everyday with them. They jump all over me and sit in my lap. Nothing like alpacas. Alpaca crias don't want much to do with you and honestly it is better if you don't love on them. When they get bigger, they treat you like another alpaca and then you are in trouble.

Casper the Friendly Goat, the friendliest goat we know........ (remember the cartoon)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BB great idea on the goat thread,

and thanks for all the links, some of them I had but not all.So I will be spending a little time checking them out.

I haven't posted in awhile as I have been busy with all the new babies we have gotten lately,chicks, ducks, and oh yeah new goats.

In the last couple of weeks I have aquired a few lol.

I will get out today and take pix and then try to post.Iam not pc wiz so I amy get my DS to do it.

Iam looking out our office window right now as my DH feeds, LaLa my new Lamachia nanny (and hopefully soon to be giver of milk goat)and her twins are so cute, I swear the babes have springs in thier feet lol

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Justus - I have NO experience in the small breeds, so I have no idea. However, I know that pygmy goats are stockier and have shorter legs, and sometimes have colors and patterns that only they have, so if you did a search of colors between Nigerians and Pygmies you might find out...

Deb, do you have pictures of your babies? I love baby goat pictures!!

I just went out and took a picture of Heathcliff - the goat in my avatar; he has gotten so big and stinky! I have allergies from the bucks when they are in rut. Blahhh. Of all the things to cause allergies. But a cute lug of a goat, even in his large size.

854_035.jpg

Latest posts