Official SS Goat Thread

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ha! Funny. I really don't know. It should be.. For me its more of a term of endearment.

Denise - That sounds like goatie (ha) heaven! They'll love it!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhh Cissy is an absolute beefcake LOL She's very stocky and very barrel shaped like the Pygmy. Mione is less so.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were crosses, but they're weed eaters here so it doesn't much matter lol. My horse is a cross, and she's definitely prettier than most of the purebreds I've seen :) (imo)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need to jump in here and ask all you goatie people about fence. Woven wire 4x4 or 2x4,...or electric??? I have maybe a half to three quarters of an acre of wooded hillside that needs fenced,...very rough terrain. What would you goat experts reccomend??? Plus how many goats would that comfortably contain??? Thanks! :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, rough terrain... as long as you can get a ground in, I would do something like high tensile electric.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am leaning more to electric,...but would you electrify all strands??? :hu
:)hide I know,...Ive never owned a goat)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard you don't need to, but since it doesn't cost really much more to electrify all strands, I do all anyway. It's just easier lol.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have a question in regard to bottle feeding. What do you experienced goat people recommend. Fiasco Farm recommends cow milk from the store over goat milk replacer. They also say that they use baby bottles.
Of course we all know that goats milk would be best, but that is exhorbitantly expensive and more difficult to get. I am considering getting some and mixing it with either dairy milk or milk replacer, but I don't think I can afford to spend my whole food budget on goat's milk for the kids.
They will be about a week old when I pick them up at the farm.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
When I got Heathcliff I fed whole cows milk (store bought - yuck!) and kid replacer, just mixed the kid replacer properly with water that was really hot, then mixed it with the cold milk. It evened out to a nice warm temperature for the kid. Eventually I switched to goats milk, when we had enough, but it worked for quite some time.

We use pop bottles with the black teats that you see at almost any feed store, you just need to make sure you cut the holes big enough and stretch the teats out a bit, otherwise its like sucking on a tree limb for sap. LOL

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it some how came to be that a couple of Nigerian Dwarf does showed up in my backyard/horse pasture. Would they stay inside an electric fence? Be honest!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
o.k.
here's the story, finally got pix of my little herd, went to download on to PC and found one of the dogs had chewed the cord, went to Wally World after work, got cord,downloaded pix to PC,now here is when trouble really took hold--see Iam a professed tech dumby and dont have a clue how to get my pix on to this thread---sooo

HELP!

thanks

don' mean to hi-jack, but I would really love to be able to get my pixs on here