Official SS Goat Thread

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Justus - I have NO experience in the small breeds, so I have no idea. However, I know that pygmy goats are stockier and have shorter legs, and sometimes have colors and patterns that only they have, so if you did a search of colors between Nigerians and Pygmies you might find out...

Deb, do you have pictures of your babies? I love baby goat pictures!!

I just went out and took a picture of Heathcliff - the goat in my avatar; he has gotten so big and stinky! I have allergies from the bucks when they are in rut. Blahhh. Of all the things to cause allergies. But a cute lug of a goat, even in his large size.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/854_035.jpg
Heathcliff is beautiful- just from a distance now. I'm sure the does still love him.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 2 Pygmy and/or Pygmy crosses LOL... We don't really know what they are, I know they are Pygmy crosses or Pygmys of some sort. My little Mione has brown points on her head and back, but Cissy is by and large mostly cream.

I can tell you though, they very well could be full Pygmy but not "true to breed", because Cissy is very much a freight train.

Anyone have experience with Angora goats? I just found this website while looking for a website for a Goat/Sheep supply mail-order place in Ontario...

PS, This is Mione and Cissy, we're looking at getting a couple Boer/Nubian Doelings as well this fall..

IMG_0213.jpg

cissy_mione.jpg

mione.jpg

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I found a breeders website on Pygmys and Nigerians. She is in Texas, and has literally hundreds of them. I sent her pics of my little ones, and she has confirmed they are Pygmys. :clap Pebbles and Bambam are settled in just fine...for now. I will be building a seperate area for Pebbles this week. I have to get her away from those boys...they chase her so much...and I am worried she will abort. So, another pen in the barn, and another yard area goes in this week. :th Who would have thought free goats would be so much work!?? :lol:

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to a friend's house last week & got to bottle feed one of the three baby goats. Too cute for words. I'm gonna need a bigger farm.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Stephy; those look very much like Nigerian Dwarfs to me and my very untrained and inexperienced eyes. What do you think Karen..? :idunno

I figured out how to take video on my camera and upload it to the computer and play it on several different mediums, so I should be able to take video of the goat birthings when the time arrives! Last year I caught all three of Libby's doelings being born but they wouldn't upload to my computer with the type of SD card I had :/

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I"m still new to the whole goat thing so I"m not positive. I wouldn't be surprised if they were a mix though. They seem a bit stockier than Nigerians but then again a couple of my girls are looking pretty big!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I should be getting my 2 does by the end of the week. I plan on putting them in the fenced in chicken yard at first. It has a 2 sided covered area. I will take a couple of sheets of plywood and make them a better shelter in there for sleeping and to stay warm enough for the next few weeks. We'll be getting the posts for fencing hopefully this week and start putting the fence across the back section of our field. I will be fencing the young peach trees out. One old peach tree will be inside the pasture area, but we'll deal with it as we have too. It is an old tree and even though it still bears a nice amount of fruit, it is also beginning to show signs of dying off. One side of that particular section of the yard is enclosed by a tall wood fence and the neighbors garage. This will provide both shade in the summer and protection from winds. On the other side is a big oaktree, that will also provide a little shade in the height of summer. Blackberry vines are always threatening to take over our yard from that side also. I'm sure the goaties will enjoy the grapes that grow there also. Oh well. We have plenty of grapes growing elsewere too. I will be transplanting the blueberries, so the goats cannot eat them. They are mine

I can hardly wait. :ya

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Is "goaties" a regional term?
No one around here uses it and never have. The first I've seen it is on here.
I spent an entire afternoon in the goat barn at one county fair and nearly that long at another this past year and "goaties" was not in the vocabulary of the 4-H'ers or parents.

Not the same as the urban dictionary. :sick