Official SS Goat Thread

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
even with all the help(thanks FD) it doesn't look like there will be pix of my little herd, something about living so far out(20 miles from town) that we are stuck with dial up and it doesn't want to let me upload my pix,%^$##!

But I do have a couple of questions, hope some one can help.

First when should I be giving my little ones thier CDT injections?

and how m;uch copper do goats need in their feed? Goat feed around here is about 14 bucks a 50# bag, I think thats high, but there is a place that carries a brand of all-purpose feed, that we have used for our cows and pigs. Lots of people do feed this to goats, it has--a min of 10 PPM like I know what that means lol
So is this enough?

Thanks,

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi Deb!

Sorry - I am no help with those vaccinations or shots as I do not give those (I don't believe in it & I, myself, no longer receive any sort of shots).

You can buy a mineral specifically made for goats that should have enough copper in it. We have a feed container in each pen specifically for free choice minerals.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks BB,

So your goats are fine with no injections? I love the thought of them being more natural, but worry about their health, like with overeating which the CDT is suppose to help with (right).
So I would not be a bad goat momma if I don't give them any injections?

I do give free minerals to them, so guess I will use the feed mix after all, as the goat blend is just to pricey.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't given baby shots though, but someone like Helmstead on BYH can probably help you out. I do vaccinate my two girls every 6 months with CD/T vaccine.

If you can't find a goat mineral talk to your Purina Dealer about using dairy cow minerals. We can't buy goat minerals here, but my purina dealer suggested using dairy cow minerals. They're great, and we haven't had any problems thus far.

Stephy... who is thrilled because she thinks she just found a supply of Purina Goat Chow :D:D:D:D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ha! Not a bad goat momma in my opinion!

I know of a gal who had a goat kid die after an injection, and some later had very bad reactions to it; I think she had trouble with the Tetanus ones alone, but don't quote me on it - although that it just one of the more negative stories I have heard about it. Obviously it has probably saved many goats as well.

Just like with people I suppose, goats can have fatal reactions as well.

Either way, no judgment from me!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I need some advice from you guys.....what can I plant in the pasture for my nigerians? We have just flat pasture, no browse really, no trees. So what kinds of stuff could I plant in the pasture for the girls? I plan on planting some beets and sunflowers in the garden but what kinds of grasses and such should I plant in the pasture? We will have some angus cattle to rotate into the pasture with them later.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am going to pick up my 2 kids tomorrow. They will be 7 days old.

We have prepared a small fenced in area and a little house for them. Our whole property is fenced in, so if the little ones should happen to find a way out, they will still be restrained on the property.
I have bought the same nipples that the goat lady has been using. I figure they will be used to it and more likely to accept it from me. I will go out tomorrow morning and stock up on whole dairy milk.

What should I have on hand?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We went to look at goatie babies yesterday, so we're hoping in May-June to be the proud owners of some babiess

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sooooo excited about this thread!!! My doe is due to kid in June. She is already VERY LARGE. I am getting worried - did I pick too big a buck? How many Kids are in there? Am I REALLY ready for this? Suddenly June feels like TOMORROW! :hide These will be our first babies (hers as well as mine). I hope you guys will be able to stand me by then -