Official SS Goat Thread

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
At the top of the screen are a bunch of tabs, on of them is Uploads. Click on it. Then click on the browse button. you can browse to you pics on the computer. If you make your computer pics inot thimbnails you can easily spot the ones you want to upload. You don't have to change the settings, but if you do for web and email, they come up a little smaller.
Then you go back to uploads, select your uploads and copy the computer giberish under the pic and paste it into your text.

Hope this helps. ;)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I need to jump in here and ask all you goatie people about fence. Woven wire 4x4 or 2x4,...or electric??? I have maybe a half to three quarters of an acre of wooded hillside that needs fenced,...very rough terrain. What would you goat experts reccomend???
all electric all the time..be sure to check the charger requirements...goats take way more than pigs. using electric will just save you a ton of time, money, and frustration.

plus remember that the fence is to keep predators out. dogs love goats because they smell like poop and run when chased.

we like field fence (4ft) and two or three wires to keep the goaties off the fence. we went out there one morning and found Drama Debbie, all fours up, basically hanging by her udder. dang goats! shortly after that we went to electric and havent had any problems.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
Up-the-Creek said:
I need to jump in here and ask all you goatie people about fence. Woven wire 4x4 or 2x4,...or electric??? I have maybe a half to three quarters of an acre of wooded hillside that needs fenced,...very rough terrain. What would you goat experts reccomend???
all electric all the time..be sure to check the charger requirements...goats take way more than pigs. using electric will just save you a ton of time, money, and frustration.

plus remember that the fence is to keep predators out. dogs love goats because they smell like poop and run when chased.

we like field fence (4ft) and two or three wires to keep the goaties off the fence. we went out there one morning and found Drama Debbie, all fours up, basically hanging by her udder. dang goats! shortly after that we went to electric and havent had any problems.
You guys done scared me off from goats,.....I don't do drama real well. :old

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
If it some how came to be that a couple of Nigerian Dwarf does showed up in my backyard/horse pasture. Would they stay inside an electric fence? Be honest!
If another strand or two of wire, set really low (think like a goat, not a horse...think "crawl under, hop over, squeeze through!" then they would be just fine. Older, fat does will stay in better than young, athletic wethers, too.

A pygmy cross showed up mysteriously in my horse's pasture one day. ;) That fall, another was found in the back seat of my car. Poor dh! :D Goats are like zucchini. People sneak 'em in when you are not looking.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I don't have mine yet but here is the website for the farm where I am getting my babies soon! She has a lot of information on goat care so it may be helpful.

www.cornerstonefarm.net

just click on the goat section!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I don't have mine yet but here is the website for the farm where I am getting my babies soon! She has a lot of information on goat care so it may be helpful.

www.cornerstonefarm.net

just click on the goat section!
OMG Lori!,.. those goaties are NICE! :clap They have a nice set up going on and their website is so full of info! Good choice with those! :thumbsup

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
They are only a little over an hour away from us in southern va, Barb is REALLY nice and has a very nice operation. She even milked the goats in the middle of the afternoon for us so the kids could taste the milk. We will be taking our does to her for breeding cause we really like her setup. If anyone is close to her and wants nigerians, I highly recommend her!

Her husband has beautiful chickens and ducks too!!! :D

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For electric fencing, do you have problems with your electricity going out often or when it does, is it out for days? Also if that cap and trade bill ever passes, our electric will probably go sky high. You may want to consider the new solar powered electric fences with battery for backup.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was at some boarding stables with my horse years ago and was not impressed with the solar chargers. They tend to stop working, are expensive, and don't have as much power as a plug-in model. If you run multiple strands of wire, you have to take that into account when you choose the size of your charger. Maybe the solar ones are better now, I don't know.

The animals usually don't challenge the fence the moment the power goes out once they have been zapped. So unless your power often goes out for days, you will be fine. As far as cost, it really is not too expensive to run, and if you compare the cost of the two types of chargers, the corded one is probably cheaper in the long run.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wolf-Kim said:
If it some how came to be that a couple of Nigerian Dwarf does showed up in my backyard/horse pasture. Would they stay inside an electric fence? Be honest!
If another strand or two of wire, set really low (think like a goat, not a horse...think "crawl under, hop over, squeeze through!" then they would be just fine. Older, fat does will stay in better than young, athletic wethers, too.

A pygmy cross showed up mysteriously in my horse's pasture one day. ;) That fall, another was found in the back seat of my car. Poor dh! :D Goats are like zucchini. People sneak 'em in when you are not looking.
Awesome. We are running a couple more strands this week because someone offered me a couple of 40lb piggy wiggies.. *whistles innocently*