oh oh- maybe being going TVless against my will

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Today two of the three local channels that I get over the air switched to digital early. I have a converter box. One channel was never good reception but the other was the best- always clear reception.
Neither is channel is picked up at all now- the better channel shows weak signal- the weaker one shows no program.
So either I spend money getting an outside antenna, which may or may not work or I give up TV. For pete's sake, I didn;t think it would be this bad- I'm only 7 miles out of town on a ridge- you can see the town from across the street.
I won't spend money on satellite and there is no cable. Looks like I'm going cold turkey.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh wow that is sad the converter box isn't working for you. I bet MANY people will be in the same boat as you.

Wouldn't just buying a new tv fix that problem? The new tvs would pick up the digital channel. Not saying run out and buy one...LOL...but in your travels if you hit a great deal on even a small 15" tv maybe just grabbing that deal would be easiest way to go. Having a tv in the house is important for weather problems happening in your area etc. of course a radio works just as well..LOL

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We lost 4 channels with this digital switch. And when the weather gets bad, the rest of the channels don't come in right. We talked about putting up an outside antena, but haven't done it yet. It's just frustrating...analog signal TV worked great here and the'new and improved' digital signal isn't worth a pinch of salt unless it's a perfectly beautiful, sunny day outside.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
From someone who has cobbled together goat houses, this may sound silly but I don't want an outside antenna on my house. I don't like the look. And they are so expensive and are not a sure thing to fix the problem.
Oh well - tv is bad for a person anyway.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Same here - 77 days 'til no TV.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Whoo hooo!! Go with it! You will stun people by how much you will be able to accomplish in a day, how much exercise, how many books read...

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm secretly hoping my husband doesn't get the converter box.

We were watching tv a couple weeks ago and the program started "skipping". It was soooo annoying. I suspect this will become a more common occurance with the digital programming? So much for new technology! :p

All I think I need is a good radio, so I can hear the weather and any other pertinent local news.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I talked to someone about this problem at Radio Shack. They told me to hold off buying an antenna until after all stations switch to digital. They said they are only operating on half power right now. That is why we are all having trouble getting our signals.