Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey if i want to update the title in this, do i have to go back and use the Edit feature????? geez i didnt know there would be so much thinking to this....

so.. wow you/those/we chicken people are NUTS!!! went to the Ohio National Show and it was poultry overload! i mean seriously! you shoulda seen some of the setups folks had for haulin' all their poultry all over..WOW! and the selling/trading section was insane!

i was there only until 11 so i missed everyone... but thanks for thinking of me Ohio gals!!! i had a ton of stops so had to start truckin home... i drove about 50 million miles today. got all the way home with the truck packed full of stuff and dang... forgot one thing.

tomorrow i'm taking our cute-but-largely-useless mini-mancha goatie to the breeder's tomorrow. we're hoping she'll soon become the cute-and-somewhat-profitable mini-mancha with babies + milk in the spring.

our full sized la mancha is starting to act moody - so hopefully her 'date' with the neighbor's buck worked. oh geez. now i'll have two earless, moody goats to deal with. well i hadnt thought of that. i draw the line at driving out at midnite to get them ice cream and pickles.

anyway

got home just in time to start herding everyone in. i had chores on my own which wasnt too bad. even the geese went in quietly so everyone was happy.

everyone but the pigs that is...... there is no way i'm crawling in their pen like my man does. so me and the dog stood this side of the electric fence and threw hard boiled eggs at them. they seemed grateful - except for being pelted in the face. that big tamworth was givin me the stink eye but he didnt make a move for me. i had the dog at my 6 as we walked away, tho.. just...in...case....

tick tock pigs..... first week of december is coming up might fast....tick tock.... (silently makes plans for knife sharpening and carcass hanging in the barn......)

its 8:37pm and i'm ready for bed. civilization is exhausting. whew!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Like our Bee....you have quite a knack for writing.

Love your view of things.....tick tock.......:gig

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
You and Bee ought to get together and write that book! You are too funny!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Wish I would have gone to the National Show! I wanted some more turkeys!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
its 8:37pm and i'm ready for bed. civilization is exhausting. whew!
THAT'S an understatement!!

Becca and I arrived at Nationals around 9:45 am, didn't leave until 5 pm!! :th

It was insane!

But, I'll politely and honorably, quietly, and honestly, agree that I, that chicken person, am NUTS. :p

Becca and I were hoping to meet you, but we also missed the BYC lunch meet (Becca's fault, she was buying birds! HAHAHAHA).

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
UNTIL 5!?!?!?!?? ohmigosh!!! all that chirping, squeaking, squawking, clucking, crowing, and honking was about to drive me insane!!! you are a professional! we, chicken people, are nuts. i thought i loved my hens. but wow! those folks had me beat by a mile!

PamsP - i only saw a couple poults for sale. i went looking for blue slates..nada.

.. sheesh.. well here i go out on the open road again. oh joy. now lets see FOUR MORE HOURS OF DRIVING

that stupid goat had better get knocked up or she might just have to walk home.

but - and i know Quail you're with me on this -- i'm strategically going to go past starbucks for ... get this... a pumpkin latte frappucino!!! can you stand it!??!?!? they have a cold version! i will gladly hand over my $4 for another one of those coffee-y, frozen-y, treats! if i have that much loose change.. i need to turn the coach over to find more...
;-)

wish me luck - here i go!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
:bow We need every last little coffee delicious detail when you get back!!

Oh, and are you looking for Blue slate toms or hens?

Only turkey I saw for sale there was an East Indes Wild Turkey, and he was missing his tail! and his toes were badly curled.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
OH yea, and I smelled soooo many chickens yesterday, I think my sense of smell took a long vacation!

My nose was stuffy this morning, and i've been sneezing like mad. I don't want to sniff another chicken for a looooooong time! :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok finally, i'm actually sitting down...whew

update - accomplishments:

1. drove all over yesterday and this time got everything done
2. dropped that silly goatie off - love the breeder!!! thankfully our full sized la mancha isnt lonely at all. i think the chickens are keeping her company with their gossiping
3. shoveled out and fixed up the turkey house so the guineas can run around during the day. we are still keeping them cooped. but i'll try letting one or two out tomorrow - very scary!!!
4. primed 3/4's of the duck garage - will finish tomorrow and paint if the rain holds off
5. made the magical treat called "dinner"....everyone is very happy

"F-" for today:

1. did not get hen house cleaned out
2. did not get door for older hen's coop fixed
3. did not make a decision about the older hen who has water on her belly
4. did not get new door built for goose house

i guess i know my agenda for tomorrow!

so a couple of follow ups:

Quail: Blue slate toms or hens?

BOTH we want a laying pair! i didnt see any good poults either at the show. i might see if i can get a pair from Steve at Sands Poultry. we might have to hold off until spring tho.

FChick: do i ride?? horses??
oh geez.. nope. honestly i do better with animals that i can snatch up and give a good beatin' too... so horses are definitely out. (JK about that beatin' thing you know....)

right now we dont have pasture so i just can see myself keeping something that just stands there costing me money. right now everyone has to work. its like i tell the hens - "you're gonna feed me one way or the other so you might as well lay an egg!"

however,

i always did have a picture of myself, out there on the open range, ridin the fences. me, Dog #1, and my trusty 30.06 strapped across my back, huntin' grizz and lookin for lost little doggies.

i've got a ways to go tho. right now it would be more like:

Dog#1 nursing a broken jaw from being kicked by Ol' Gluefactory after he threw me off when the chickens bock-bocked too loudly....

my man, however, really likes the big old Belgiums and Percherons. i love the guys who farm with horses and not tractors. that has always been interesting to me... i passed a pair of oxen yesterday. very very cool!!!

various and sundry replies:

yep my man really is that good. he's got a list of faults but mostly i keep them to myself b/c the good outshines the bad. we balance each other out - i'm all "go" and he's all "wait a minute" so together we make haste slowly.

and the coffee.... oh man i just love the frappucinos and the pumpkin one is fabulous! i'm totally hooked on fall food and pumpkin right now. which is why we had lamb and pumpkin stew. whoot!!

:)