Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey OFG, sounds like all the city people that I know. It amazes me. And not one of them would be prepared for any type of disaster. It will be scary when those same people can't afford all their fancy things. They really don't understand what needs and wants are. A lot of wants have turned into needs.

I happened to see the same doctor show on Thursday night. i was visiting my parents and my mom and sister watch that show. My mom actually said she didn't want to miss it because she missed the first 2 shows. I used to watch it but got disgusted with how it was going so I haven't watched it in a couple years. Well, after watching that episode, there is no reason to return to watching it. I was appalled with how they were making fun of someone who chose not to have sex. Just shows you where our country is headed and why.

It is funny that you call your truck big red. My girlfriend calls her cargo van big red.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is hard out there

my neighbor in the Cape Cod home is going to sell....she is $1600 per month mortgage. Owes $189k on her home...I doubt she will be able to sell and her hubby is a construction self biz guy....very hard times wtih hardly no jobs for him. I had him build my big addition on the back of my home....great worker, just no jobs or money. They got tough times happening. Barely making it on her salary and they decided before they lose it all, they are putting the house on the market and downsizing to a home near her job since it is the moneymaker.

and her hubby is giong nutso. with no work he is starting to drink a bit and going a bit whacko....And this guy I have known for about 13 years and never saw him drink....and stable and all but this no work is driving him insane......she got her hands full big time. She said they are ok but hitting savings constantly and she sees the future as "everything" gone if they don't get out from under the mortgage.

I feel for her big time cause they are just hard working people who got hit ya know.....not her fault at all really.....just the economy nailed his biz. But he went back to school for Heating/Air certificatino and got that...at least he is trying.

UGH
tough times are everywhere to good people

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And regrettably no end in sight.

Welcome back OFG - you were missed. I started reading a thread yesterday and got all excited that OFG's back - then realized that thread was from August.......

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks everyone! its good to be home.. for sure.

and yes very hard times for everyone. the guy next to those folks is about to loose his home also. he's a police officer with a good paying job... but he got suckered into one of those balloon mortgages also and now cant afford it. used to be that you could count on your home as an investment.. now.. if you arent careful its just someplace that you rent from the bank.

we are glad every day that we dont have any bills but our utilities and that lame health insurance. whew!

and i'm glad that we know how to "make do" with what we have. some folks have been busting our chops about why dont we do this that and the other thing with the property. i finally just told them that there is only so much you can do if you dont spend any money. they looked at me like i had lobsters growing out of my ears.

oh well. onward and upward, right?

on the upside... how hilarious is this? The Big Man made turkey while i was gone.. meanin'.. he MADE turkeys! the eggs in the incubator are pippin!

we have one poult out and another peaking thru. i cant believe it. i thought he was nuts but i'll be darned if its not working. the first one has been out since yesterday so i've been carrying him around in my bra.. and i was very very relieved that the second one is on the way. i'll take these first two out of the incubator and put them in a brooder as soon as the 2nd little guy is out of the pod...i mean.. egg.

here's a few pix:
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/10/he-made-turkey-while-i-was-gone.html

and its a sunny fabulous day so i'm very grateful.

:)

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very very cool, what kind of turkeys are they? I have royal palms and they are very friendly.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yay for turkeys!
...I had been feeling kinda bad about the way I've been eating lately (too many sweets), but I feel much better after reading that nightmare. So, thanks for sharing OFG. And I hope you take some probiotics and get your gut back in good working order ;)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
the next day i tried to find some shorts in the house b/c i was out of work clothes....but i just couldnt bring myself to walk around in short-shorts. now i'm not a Plain Woman but i am modest and i'm not parading any of my bits in public... and especially not showin' my tail feathers all day in front of a man who wasnt my husband. so i did a load of laundry.
i'm NOT very modest, but you won't catch me dead in short-shorts. for me, i'd rather be naked than dressed like a hoochie. it just feels a lot more honest.

skinny dipping, yes. a dress or shorts that are higher than my knees, not happening!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
yay for turkeys!
...I had been feeling kinda bad about the way I've been eating lately (too many sweets), but I feel much better after reading that nightmare. So, thanks for sharing OFG. And I hope you take some probiotics and get your gut back in good working order ;)
actually, better off taking prebiotics, they help stimulate what is already there, versus probiotics that introduce flora that may not currently be there. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yup... and they call US weird! :lol:

I am no saint as far as wholesome food goes not by a long shot. I have a hard core Coke addiction and not a day goes by without at least a tall one, but we DO try to eat as whole food and wholesome as possible on most days. Plus being gluten free has also put a stop to a huge amount of fast food. Every now and then, however, hubby gets a yearning for the old McD's. The last time that happened he decided to indulge in a double cheese burger and was SICK all evening and half of the next day. Not food poisoning - just all the fat and stuff in the average burger. Next time he will think long and hard. ;)