Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's not the fat that makes you sick, it all the sugar, refined flour and corn derived fillers.

We don't do fast food often, but when we do, I usually get a baconator at Wendy's and toss out the bun :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You are probably right about that. Hubby eats LOTS of lamb and pork around here that are sometimes mighty fat and that (grassfed) meat seems to be fine with his tummy. Whatever they do the meat is just gross. I call it "the other gray meat"! :lol:

Wendy's on the other hand never seems to bother us. I do the same on the Baconator occasionally, but I order it without a bun. ;) :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Yup... and they call US weird!
ha! aint that right!

well a day of being outside has made me feel better...or at least has tucked me out. so i think i'm on the mend.. and i'm drinking a buncha raw milk.... i practically tackled poor Nibbles but i held back from drinking from the tap
;-)

FF - i got off coke (cola that is) by letting myself only drink half of one... i got the idea after i visited Japan and saw their cans were REALLY small compared to ours. one of the gals said she could never finish an american-sized coke when visiting here. i dont know if its the same now tho.

anyway - then i also switched to plain sparkling water (the local grocery chain has a brand for usually $1.99 for 12). but i used to never think twice about drinking soda - now i cant even finish a whole can. but everyone has their limits so its just fine if thats yours. and ONE is different than a dozen a day! wow!

the food thing is weird - we have such "clean" food here that the other stuff just doesnt seem right. i had a chicken sandwich and i dont know where those parts came from but that was not chicken in its intended form. yikes!

WZ - i swear i can taste the sugar in all of it. i knew someone who actually was a diabetic (not my 24 hour kind ha!) and he couldnt eat the burgers or ketchup b/c the buns and the ketchup had so much sugar it would throw him into hyperglycemia!

hi colowyo0809!

bibbird you said it! "honest" is an interesting perspective.. i'm gonna think on that one a while - hadnt thought of it that way. for us living in our small amish town, there is no way i could go into the feed store with "juicy" written across my backside and a low cut shirt. no one would be able to look at me!

hi java! yep - apparently compared to normal folks we are in the clear....wow. i once saw one of the teens sit down with a bag of potato chips and a bag of chocolate chips and she basically finished both. i almost barfed. but i did have a few chocolate chips!

homesteadmomma - we have bourbon reds.. we LOVE them. very funny and personable. and they love to free range. i think its funny that the poults are smaller than most chicks. our second little one is fighting like mad to get out. he's doing a great job.

now i'm gonna go rustle up so more greens and barley before i start shoveling the masses in for the nite

;-)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wow, what an experience OFG!!!

I must admit I often indulge, but the norm for me is homemade foods preferably homegrown.

I cannot imagine living on nothing but soda and take-out!

I guess that is why I am here with this "nutty" group :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
WZ - i swear i can taste the sugar in all of it. i knew someone who actually was a diabetic (not my 24 hour kind ha!) and he couldnt eat the burgers or ketchup b/c the buns and the ketchup had so much sugar it would throw him into hyperglycemia!
I was buying some tomato paste the other day and fortunately I looked at the label. It had HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in it!!! Can you believe it?? It was a major brand too. Good thing the cheap sore brand had one ingredient listed. Tomatoes!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sorry OFG forgot to say :frow and welcome back!! sorry your trip to the land of normal was so full of bleh! although, a) I dunno whats wrong with eating a whole bag of chocolate chips and b) i used to live that way before I got sick :) now, if I eat fast food I tend to get :sick plus too much of it has gluten so its easier to just not :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I was buying some tomato paste the other day and fortunately I looked at the label. It had HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in it!!! Can you believe it?? It was a major brand too. Good thing the cheap sore brand had one ingredient listed. Tomatoes!
I swear it's in everything! If it isn't that it's soy. Ugh!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Welcome back, OFG, I missed you!

Your talk of lifestyles made me realize I come from a pretty frugal family. My grandma was the original recycler, she drove everyone nuts because she reused everything under the sun and actually darned her nylons. But she did get us started on the right track and abhored waste. We all still miss Grandma, who lived to almost 100, drank beer every day and smoked for 40 years. But if you served chicken drumsticks she would say something like, "Boy, that chicken had a lot of legs!"
My mom has more class and smarts than grandma had but still is ultra frugal.
I pretty much followed her lead, if nothing else, just to not hear her nag when she visits.
But when I see how other people live, it makes me feel awfully out of touch. It is nice to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't need the latest cell phone model or think much on TV is for teenagers to watch. I actually took all TVs away from my 14-year-old because he persisted on watching ONLY the shows that I found trashy, they are drawn to that crap.

I drive by a local high school on my way to work and can't believe what some people let their teenage girls wear to school in WINTER even.
Do they want to be grandparents early, or what? Having Amish neighbors would be awfully refreshing if you asked me. We live near a local religious group as well (apostolic lutherans) and while not a member of their church, find their influence on our community to be positive.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking of Grandma's - back in the 60's and 70's (yes I wore jeans with flowers embroidered on them) if I happened to go to my grandmother's house with a short skirt on, she would she would say, "Honey come on in here and let me sew a ruffle on that skirt." I bet if I had gotten close enough she would have, too. :lol: