Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OFG, how's your terrible neighbors lately. Maybe you should try this on them.

1343_maxine.jpg

Gotta really love Maxine.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok all y'all just aint right....

HA!

besides i already got in trouble for not.. ahem... "staking up my tomatoes".. remember that?!!?!

from now on its an industrial strength "over the shoulder poult holder"

HA!

dang.. you area all something else
;-)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
This thread is too funny!

I wonder as a percentage, how many SS people had an influential grandparent?

My grandma lived from 1902 to 2001 so if you think about what happened during those years, no wonder she was our link to self-sufficiency....she came from a different era. She had her babies in her bedroom at home, preserved her own food, milk was delivered via horse drawn wagon because they lived in the city and it was a big deal when the family got a car and indoor plumbing. While the computer era would baffle her, I wish sometimes for her advice when I'm doing something like making jam, planting something, or plucking a chicken.
One of my favorite things is a quilt she made for me when I was a child, it is made from tiny scraps of cloth saved from dresses she hand-sewed for me. While I will probably never be as thrifty, I do shop in used clothing stores for 80 percent of our family apparel and at family get-togethers my sister and I compare our thrift-store outfits. Alright, I come from peasant stock, what can I say? Some probably would consider ME a "mutt" ....
:duc

But Grandma's generation did not have to recite Reduce, Reuse, Recycle to remind themselves of anything.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But lordy, what a mess it was to go through her house when she passed away. My grandparents never threw anything away. My mom and her sisters had to sort through everything to be sure there wasn't anything valuable between the pages of books or magazines. Mom said she would never make us go through that ordeal - but guess whose house is full and overflowing right now.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
My mom and her sisters had to sort through everything to be sure there wasn't anything valuable between the pages of books or magazines.
my great-grandmother was the same. but it was definitely aggravated by her Alzheimer's. when i was about 6 years old, the diamond came out of the setting on my mother's engagement ring. she put it in her bathroom cabinet to get it fixed since we were going on vacation the next day. when we got back it was gone. we could never figure out what happened to it.

my great-grandmother died when i was 12 and we started the long slow process of going through her things. when i was 15 we had just started going through boxes from the attic when my mother started hooping and hollering. she'd found her engagement setting in a box. 3 days and about 40 boxes later, we found the diamond.

our best guess is that grandma found it when her and granddaddy came over before we left for vacation that day and she put it away "for safe keeping." so, after 9 years, my mom had her long lost ring back.