Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
since all y'all asked... and b/c FF thinks its so funny.. ha!

This Morning's Bra-Brooder Report:
dateline: The Good Land
bra status: currently empty.. well, except for my bits

yesterday we had an ordeal.. Hatchling #2 and #3 somehow got into the waterer (a quart drinker- thank heaven i put marbles in it so it wasnt very deep) or something - but both were soaked and shivering. so you guessed it..

..into the bra they went. one on each side. i had a dark shirt on so i went and sat in the sun for some solar powered heat and soon enough their Peeps of Misery changed to Musically Peeping and all was right with the world.

until the geese showed up. WOW did i get the stink eye. and i think i was able to ID the females b/c they werent happy AT ALL with me sitting there peeping.

after i while i took my little bundles of joy and went inside to read. they slept for a while tucked under my chin... then they started screwing around and there was too much of a ruckus in my shirt so i put them back in the brooder. and everyone was very happy.

honestly they were so cute, both of them with their little heads on my chest that i almost took a picture.. but you know how that goes.. it would be one of those viral internet things and no one would let it go. or my pastor would call me and ask what kind of malfeasance was going on. or those animal rights folks would hail me as a hero... until of course, butcher day came around. gulp!

so last nite another pod was pippin and this morning i went down to find ONE leg sticking out. hey buddy! you're doing it wrong!

so i freed him from his pod.. the membrane was dry and this is leading me to believe that my humidity is too low??? any body have any thoughts on this????

i put a small dish of water in the incubator yesterday but the whole thing steamed up (hatchling #3 busted out no problem tho)... but i'm afraid if its too humid the guys still in the eggs will drown.

help?

:)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: You are so funny. So what do you do about um, lil turkey droppings in your bra?

I don't know what to tell ya about the humidity for poults. When I did chickens I had a 100% turnout with lower for the first part and then at 60% for the last few days. I think. I'm not caffeinated yet. :caf

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hee hee hee i'm not even phased when someone poops on me anymore.. its just like anything i guess.. just get the paper towels and move on.

but yes i did take a shower last nite and yes that bra is going to be bleached! ha!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did a dumb thing. I started feeding the ducks BOSS and since they got over their fear of the scary black seeds, it's all they want. Haven't touched their feed in 3 days. :rolleyes: They are blasting the neighborhood with their honking now and I'm about to have duck for lunch. And here I thought they were settling down. They were so quiet last week. So I tossed them some of the goat grain and the went for that. The goats aren't eating it right now so I gotta use it up.
I'm wondering if I should switch to whole grains? Maybe I'll run to the feed store and see what they have other than scratch. The foraging here isn't so great right now either.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I mix boss with layer pellets in one big tub and that is what everybody gets....chickens and ducks. They eat that or go find something else. :p

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine would pick out the BOSS and then whine :rolleyes: It's like crack to them. They like it better than corn. Silly birds.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Mine just don't get any food the next day except what is left in the bowl....they'll learn if you starve them long enough!!! :lol:

OFG--you should submit pics of your "bra brooder" to BYC's coop page!!! :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha!

i was gonna take the pic and call its:

"Turkey. Breast."

HA!

honestly.. they were so cute. the poults that is.
;-)

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig

lol, thats funny! of course, we had the original brooder, and then the upgraded brooder, in our bedroom for the first while, and boy was that fun! especially once they started flapping!