Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
what sorta of piggies are those? see, I am considering turning the back field into a wallow and putting fencing up to get some bacon growing.. The edge back there has lots of acorns and ferns so hoping they can glean as much as I have to feed.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:weee BACON!!! They look absolutely delicious! I've had mine for 9 days now and I already hate 'em! I watch them and imagine the cuts....ham, shoulder roast, bacon, ribs, etc. Congratulations!!!
:woot

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Someday we will grow enough fodder root crops, to have LOTS saved for the next summer so we can grow up a couple pigs. Need to figure out how much that would be though. Hoping to grow enough for the goats and chickens this year.
I think we need to build the smoke house first though.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Someday we will grow enough fodder root crops, to have LOTS saved for the next summer so we can grow up a couple pigs. Need to figure out how much that would be though. Hoping to grow enough for the goats and chickens this year.
I think we need to build the smoke house first though.
We're planting carrots, radish, beets and turnips for our rabbits.. We are figuring on about 2000sq foot of garden just for growing out our summer meat needs.. I hope we planned for enough..

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget to glean. My current pigs are working on leftover acorns from last year's pigs. This fall we will be getting many, many more acorns and storing them in a big pile in the middle of the pig pasture. Learned this technique totally by accident. The squirrels can only manage to take so many!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Don't forget to glean. My current pigs are working on leftover acorns from last year's pigs. This fall we will be getting many, many more acorns and storing them in a big pile in the middle of the pig pasture. Learned this technique totally by accident. The squirrels can only manage to take so many!
If I can figure out a way to gather and get our acornsto you, you're welcome to them Free. We have tons of oak trees here!
Pigz looks yumz!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok the stupid pigz were too stupid to go in their shelter and it rained ALL screamin' night!

of course i was up at first light and me and the dogs went running down there to see if they had flopped over dead.

so far, pigz = not dead
A+!

i moved their yums just inside their shelter and filled it with grass hay so if they cant go in there now.. well. i'm not sure what to do.

kai thinks they look delicious. i asked Titan "where's the pigz?" and he went right to them - he remembered from last year! whooot!

the goats nearly blew a gasket with their pig hatin! Sunny was the worst of the lot and i actually had to go and stand with her - so she could lean on me - so she woudl settle down. thats halfway to snuggling and you know my feelings on that. all of them gals were up there stamping and snorting and sneezing and carrying on. it was hilarious.

so

Boyd

yes, run right out and get pigz. Free is the Queen of Glean and can show you how to get it done. we will probably buy exactly 3 bags of pig chow this entire summer - the rest will be corn+eggs+milk and maybe a little calf manna.

these little oinkers are Tamworth hogs - the best free rangin' bacon hogs ever made.

and i got them from this guy here, Dave at Springhill Farms
http://springhillfarms.us/spring-hill-farms-blog.html

of course i nearly had to pry them out of his cold dead hands - folks from all over the country are calling and begging him for Tams. he raises pigs to sell direct to customers (ohio folks - take note... go and get a box of his pork, just ask Java how great it is!).

so provided they dont flop over dead from being so stupid - and yes its easy to hate them already!!!! - they are gonna big some big ol' hogs by the time the hammer comes down. we are literally giddy with pork joy!

and not i gotta go and scandalize them goats by giving their milk to them stupid pigz! ha!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
and now i gotta go and scandalize them goats by giving their milk to them stupid pigz! ha!
!!!

They won't get so mad at the pigz they stop giving you milks, will they?!? :gig