Ok, can you freeze peppers?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
A note of CAUTION! You probably already know this, but I had to learn it the very, very hard way when first canning habanero, jalapeno and cayenne last summer. WEAR GLOVES! I canned about 7 pints of the stuff with no gloves and started getting chills. Then, the burning kicked in. It was a completely sleepless night :eek: Please protect your skin!
you know, people have been telling me this for years. I make my own hot sauce and that involves holding a HOT pepper, sometimes Habenero, and chopping into it. I can handle the heat, it doesn't affect me. The only time it actually burns me is when it is in the eyes, mouth (not on purpose), andwhen it gets into an open cut. :)
Thank you for the warning.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
This is good info....I have all kinds of peppers in the garden, and the DH is worried they'll go to waste before the tomatoes are ready. So let me get this right.....

HOT peppers can be chopped and frozen, but red/yellow bell cannot? Did I read that right? I don't know that we would like them pickled....we want to use them for salsa, as I said.

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can dry them out as well and use them later for chilli powder or enchilada sauce later.

Chickchic

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Personally, I just take all my peppers hot and bell no matter what kind and toss them into the freezer whole. I do the same with tomatoes sometimes if I do not feel like canning them.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
ok, cool.....I'm thinking, since we are only going to use them all in salsa, that I'll just chop them all up and freeze them together, then when the tomatoes are ready, make and can the salsa.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Between the talk of pickled peppers and gallons of hot sauce....I'm getting hungry!! Stop it y'all, stop it! :lol:

It all sounds fabulous. Good Lord I loves me some good hot sauce. Yum. :p And apparently the thought of it renders me unable to speak decent English. :lol:

Red Tie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I freeze all kinds of peppers. Hot, mild, sweet. Chop them up and throw them in ziplocs. I do make some into pickles but when they are frozen you just break off as much as you want and dump them into the pot. Lay the bags flat when you freeze though, so you don't get a huge glob which is hard to break apart! Yes, I learned it the hard way;)

Jane

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I dehydrated hot peppers once , and once dry, I gorund up in my food processor. then put it in s spice jar--make sure you label it, and add to chilis, stews etc.

I also dehydrated them and left them in halves. I went to use them one day in my pasta primavera, thinking they were (sun)dried tomatoes, ony to discover that I did NOT label the bag. :th

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I dehydrated hot peppers once , and once dry, I gorund up in my food processor. then put it in s spice jar--make sure you label it, and add to chilis, stews etc.

I also dehydrated them and left them in halves. I went to use them one day in my pasta primavera, thinking they were (sun)dried tomatoes, ony to discover that I did NOT label the bag. :th
ouch, We vacuum sealed them then, popped them in the freezer.

Latest posts