Ok, can you freeze peppers?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
This is good info....I have all kinds of peppers in the garden, and the DH is worried they'll go to waste before the tomatoes are ready. So let me get this right.....

HOT peppers can be chopped and frozen, but red/yellow bell cannot? Did I read that right? I don't know that we would like them pickled....we want to use them for salsa, as I said.
I have a bag of frozen red peppers in the freezer right now, I think what they are saaying is there are better things you can do with certain types of peppers.

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Stuff them. I clean and core them and fill with a mixture of ground beef, minute rice, tomatoe paste, and put them in a freezer bag and save for later. Works great for all peppers.

Michelle

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Alternatively if you are not a pickled-peppers type, cut them up in small pieces and freeze in a flat thin layer in ziploc baggies with all the air sucked out. Then you can break off whatever size piece you need for cooking with at future times.

Have fun,

Pat
I covet my red bell peppers soooo much, I grow a special variety that gets red faster. Here is my tip:
I chop the peppers in a small dice and fill the small snack baggies, it is just enough to give one dish some color and flavor. Then I pack as many snack bags as will fit in a quart freezer bag. that way they are so easy to remove and ready to use without defrosting. It makes cooking time a lot easier.
I also chop some sweet green peppers in a finger shape for stir fry. Those I put in a sandwich bag and bundle in gallon freezer bags. Here in New Mexico mild green chilie is a vegetable rather than a spice, we sometimes eat it three meals a day. It is best roasted, cleaned of seeds and skin and then frozen. It is an annual event to get the chilie crop in the freezer, my husband and I go through an average of 120 lbs. a year.
I found a new pepper variety that is now at the top of my list as best raw eating pepper - a no heat jalapeno! They are crunchy and sweet and full of flavor. I am actually going to try digging the plants up before frost and transplanting them to the greenhouse.