OK, I'm going to do it. I am now addicted to it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Napkins are a great way to start. You will learn to stitch straight lines and miter corners, two basic skills.

Just don't fuss too much, remember nothing has to be perfect (something I have to remind myself of constantly!) and no one will notice the little mistakes. Especially remember that when mitering corners!

I have a bunch of napkins cut out from an old flannel sheet that are waiting by my machine to be hemmed. They will be for everyday use and to pick up spills and reduce need for paper towels.

You go, girl! :thumbsup
How do you like using the flannel as napkins? I have a large flat sheet I was going to recycle into pj's. Are they absorbent?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. Now, I'll really have to try hard so I won't let ya'll down.

I do want to do alot of napkins. Some with matching aprons. I also thought about trying those really cute tote bags. I have saw purses made out of old jeans and I like those.

I've also been looking around for a Bible (book) cover pattern. I would like to have one for my Bible for each season.

Free, I like that you make clothes for your dog. I'll bet they are cute. One of ours will wear clothes, but the other 2 would probably tear them off her.

Thanks for all the other ideas, too.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Old cotton flannel is so soft and yes, absorbant. I am using a top sheet from my massage business. The bottom sheets get too yukky with oil stains and I have to replace them yearly, but there is still life left in the top sheets and pillow cases. Not enough life for pj's, though, too much work for warn out fabric.

I just sent about 12 top sheets and pillow cases to the local animal shelter, and kept one to make some napkins with. They will be everyday napkins that can take hard laundering....cuz they already have....and I will make a few small squares, maybe 8", for wiping up spills around the kitchen, who cares if they get stained.

I will not be bothering with mitering corners, I will just make two-layer squares, turn them right-side-out, and top stitch around the edges....quick-quick-quick. Making some for mom, too.

I often bring my machine and a card table into the living room for these little brainless projects so I can watch some mind-numbing tv without feeling like I just wasted time.....but it also helps me, because I can get so crazed with a need to be productive, I never sit down, and get overtired....and making napkins in front of the tv is much cheaper than psychotherapy!!! :lol:

My dh will get to watch me make another batch of feminine product for a friend who is expressing interest but has zero crafty skills...but helps me out in many ways, so a nice gift for her.

Sewing is a wonderful skill, so satisfying (when you are not ripping out stitches through the tears!) Stick with it, punkin, through the tough times! :he and know that you will again :ya

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have made several simple house dresses (one step up from night gowns) out of some flat queen size sheets that I got at a rummage sale for 50 cents a piece. The pattern was a Simplicity pattern that I got at Joanne Fabrics for 99 cents. Between the fabric, thread and pattern I figure I have about $1.25 in each house dress. The cost will be even less when I get a few more "cheap sheets" and make a few more.

Flat sheets from a tag sale are also great for backing when making quilts. The flannel ones are great for P.J.s as well. There is alot of fabric in a sheet!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was a wee lass my best friend's dad worked for IBM - when they could only wear white shirts. Her mom sat us down with white shirts that he couldn't wear to work any longer and we cut out hankies and put a small tuckered hem in on their treadle sewing machine.

Next, we did placemats with matching napkins. After that a "ditty" bag (simple bad with drawstrings). Little pillows for our beds. Next a poncho (they were trendy then) made from two rectangles but it needed a hem, BALL FRINGE (dear heaven), and a bit of a facing.

God bless Mrs. Sisson...I still sew and enjoy it mightily.

Good luck with it, punkin.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I actually went to a class on Friday to be introduced to my new machine. It was very basic more geared to the ladies who were there as well. I am looking forward to the next class, it deals with the electronics.

I am thinking about turning my Dining room into a sewing center. I have a million things I would like to get done. Not enough time in the day.

I also find it very relaxing.

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Congrats to all of you starting new projects and developing new skills. I love sewing and have sewn for years. Start with the simple projects and then more challenging ones. I would be glad to help if you have questions. Enjoy!!