Okay...post your herd pics here! **Dial-up Warning**

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I have trouble figuring out how to do restores..

I got it fixed though! I was trying to click on something, accidently hit minimize - and it was all there! Don't ask..

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
As a matter of fact, I would like to start a thread on BYH to showcase all our animals....particularly the ones who are being raised in a thrifty, natural way so that others can see that its not all about USDA approved protocol when it comes to animal husbandry.

The fact that we are attempting to develop animals that will not need costly and artificial means to survive in good condition is a testament to our out of the box thinking and our individuality. We should be proud of it and tout these methods on BYH so that others realize that there is more than only one way to skin a cat......er...um...I mean, to raise an animal. :p

You guys in? Wanna rock the boat and start a thread about raising animals with alternative, non-USDA approved methods? :)
Absolutely! People used to think you were a "health nut" f you tried to take care of yourself instead of eating junk. Now it's being "health conscious" and is considered a good thing. They need examples of how to to do the same for animals. Y'all aren't crazy - you're trendsetters! :bow Besides - I need to learn all I can from you people to start off right when I can get lots of critters. Thank you for the farm lessons whether you are aware you are teaching or not.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok, I posted my bit. But now I wonder if it even makes sense... :idunno Oh well, worse has happened. :lol:

Edit;

You know, if this doesn't work and we get too many meanies always after us, we could still try to get a homestead animal area in here for our natural methods and care. Wouldn't that be heavenly?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Here is my little "herd". First the dogs. This is Cassiopeia, or Cassie, my half Siberian Husky half German Shepherd.
She is very rule bound and ALWAYS does the right thing (unless there is a live chicken to be plucked!) She is very devoted and a hugger. :love
Cassiopeia2.JPG

Here she is with my D1's dog, her full brother Kooshie (on the left). As you can see he looks more Husky.
kiss%20me%20quick%202.JPG

This is my seriously goofy German Shepherd, Sirius. He tries to be good! His favorite thing is BALL. :p
Sirius2.JPG

This is a picture of the City Biddy hens earlier this summer. They were foraging in the "back forty".
hens296.JPG

They are back to front a cuckoo Marans, a red Sex Link, a Salmon Faverolle (died of a heat stroke this summer) and an Ameraucana.
These gals are just production type of birds, but they keep me in plenty of eggs.
Later they will make great soup. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farm, I must tell you that your dogs are very gorgeous! Very healthy and bright looking, beautiful coats! :love My dogs are cute but they aren't so lush and beautiful as yours. :)

BB, it would be heavenly if they let us have a place here for such things. If we aren't successful in discussing it on a herd forum, maybe we can have it here.

It is certainly appropriate, as animals are a key fixture to our SS living and in our lives. They deserve mention and discussing ways to raise them cheaply and naturally just all fits here on the SS forum. :thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
They ought to look good ... they spend most of their lives on my sofa! :p :lol:

Actually they are fed well. I feed them Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice dog food. It has more meat product and less "filler" than any other commercial dog food I have found ... well for a reasonable price. They also eat plenty of leftovers. They are fed bones too. Everything except pork bones. As I have mentioned in a thread before we can get a CASE of raw beef bones for FREE when we go to the butcher shop. The chicken bones they get are usually well cooked. I figure if they are soft enough for me to gnaw the ends they can eat them too. They also get eggs when I have extras, cooked veggies and Cassie LOVES bananas!

I try to feed my hens well too. Spring, summer and into fall they are allowed to forage my yard or given fresh greens daily. I feed a non-medicated 16% layer crumble, oyster shell and granite grit all free choice and even provide them with vegetable scraps and leftovers. During the winter months they "semi-free" range in my garden spot and get to tear up all of the old plants in there. When the snow flies they are given straw to scratch in, flakes of leafy alfalfa to play with and eat, and I sprout oats for them each day. They sometimes get whole corn or scratch to eat. In addition they get suet made with rendered lard and scratch grain or whole corn on very frigid days! This keeps them very healthy and laying lots of eggs. I never worm, because I have never really needed to. I also never give them any vaccinations.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You ARE good to your animals! :p They eat better than I do! :lol: I don't feed medicated or vaccinate either, nor do I ever worm the chickens. I didn't know that other folks did either until I found BYC! :p

They are certainly lovely!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am good to them and then THEY are good to me. My dogs are great companions, but they are awfully good at keeping the bad guys away as well.

As for the chickens they give me eggs and then I eat them. I give them great lives, because I know someday they will make the ultimate sacrifice for me. A lot of people I know think that is horrible of me, but my conscious rests easy. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Lovely pups and hens!!!

BB, and everyone, what is the worst that happens over there? Someone calls us stupid! But many people read our posts and learn. I will be posting my opinion all over the place. Bring it on. Come join me! The place needs a little balance. Time for us to stop hiding in the research section of the library and speak up!

BB, your essay was very intelligent and well-written. You should seriously consider submitting stuff to magazines. Everything you write is well thought out and interesting.

FF, the people who think you are horrible have no trouble eating meat raised in extreme cruelty without giving it a thought. Sheesh.