Okay, so who watched the inauguration? What did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had the TV on, but I was in the other room sewing. When I did go into the living room later, there was a puddle of drool and slobber on the floor infront of the TV from all the gushing of the commentators (Not a real news person in the bunch). I will be glad when the bloom is off the rose between the new administration and the media so that I can get the real story about what use to be considered news worthy before Obama!

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually feel sorry for the guy. People are going to expect rabbits out of hats and miracles that will fix the economy overnight. No matter who went in that just wasn't going to happen.

Look around the world and it is obvious the downhill slide has not ended. There are countries we all deal with and as they slide further it is going to impact north america in a negative way.

All any president can hope for is to maybe soften that impact and ride it out.

I do agree with him that personal responsibility of everyone is a key factor in much of this. America was built on the strength of families and entire communities working for the common good and that is something seriously lacking at this point in history.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
kstaven said:
I actually feel sorry for the guy. People are going to expect rabbits out of hats and miracles that will fix the economy overnight. No matter who went in that just wasn't going to happen.
I don't feel sorry for him at all. HE ASKED for it.

But I sure agree, everyone will be expecting miracles and he will get slammed cause there is no quick fix. And he will take the full brunt of comments on how the country is being run.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am optimistic. It can`t get much worse. It seems he hit the position running. I like the fact that he knows he can`t push a magic button and fix everything and tells us we all have to dig in and work together. Which we certainly can do. Just my opinion. :fl

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And he will take the full brunt of comments on how the country is being run.
I don't think this will happen at all....I predict that every word that falls from this man's lips will be greeted as rose petals, to the media. I doubt very seriously that anyone will criticize this man and it makes it to print. We've already seen how this man~out of nowhere(with a muddled and questionable past history) has been called "the messiah" and "a savior" by our media. I've never seen, in the history of this nation, as big a following of any one president. And for as little true merit.

I don't think he will have any trouble at all at gaining and keeping public favor....he's already shown this in the election process.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that one. Did anybody have as high an approval rating as Bush did after 9-11? I think anybody can fall if they want to badly enough :)

I'm excited about Obama but nervous about this celebrity status (don't want his head too big and don't want him to be considered celebrity "fluff" with no substance). I think it's inevitable for him to have that status in a county that was built on slavery. This is truly historic, and the world knows it. For the first time, other nations will be dealing with the leader of our nation who is not white and had blood ties to another country.

I agree that words are just words. But sometimes (think of this forum, for example), words have tremendous power to unite people, change the spirit of a nation, get people excited about getting themselves involved in the change that will need to happen to keep this nation afloat.

JMO.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I respect everyone for being so respectful of other's feelings...I was nervous about this post cause I was afraid it might start a feud but I have been pleasantly surprised.

I personally, did not really like either candidate. I liked bits and pieces of both...if we could have melded the two together somehow I would have been happier. That being said, I hope that people don't crucify the man if everything that he wants to fix doesn't get fixed...congress plays a part in that, don't forget. I felt bad for Bush in a way because he was stuck in a situation that was so overwhelming (9-11) for everyone that it was hard to know what to do....now we're stuck and we can't just get out of it easily.

I had not heard of the "messiah" comments either...that's a little far-fetched don't ya think???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! I was amused at first, until I heard it over and over during the election...then it became a little over the top and in poor taste. To compare Obama to Jesus Christ....well there are no words available in my extensive vocabulary to encompass my thoughts on this! :/

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
We have friends who are Obamaphiles and they can get a little annoying. Apparently someone re-worked a christmas song to be about Obama. It gave me an ill feeling to hear about it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts