One Animal??

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Willy voted for Alpacas, but I vote chickens.

Ya can't eat Alpacas.... :D
Says who?

:hide

What do you consider light?

Aly, people in South America use llamas and alpacas for pack animals and riding, but I suppose if someone weighed a lot it wouldn't be a good idea.

I could just make a little cart and hitch up some goats for a ride. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, only the horse people really get that one.....Sally, will you be breeding your sheeples? Spinning? I forgot if you said, sorry.....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You mean if I could only have one animal or in real life?

In real life eventually I am going to breed the younger one and learn how to milk her. I am also going to use her wool next year instead of giving it away like I did this year. The older one is simply a companion b/c she is an old hair sheep.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would have to choose the dumb ol' chickens. They can replenish their numbers, make food daily and require less feed than hogs, make offspring more quickly than the sheep or cattle, and their dividends~meat and eggs~can be utilized in more ways than other farm meats.

They also take less work to process and require less work to maintain, less disposal if one dies and the feathers can be utilized in clothing for warmth if need be. They can free range for their own feed if the chips are down and feed cannot be provided. They also attract predators that can be trapped or killed for their fur for clothing and even for food, if things are desparate enough.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
They also attract predators that can be trapped or killed for their fur for clothing and even for food, if things are desparate enough.
See, I was considering dogs as my one animal. Easy to care for, protective, and can be trained to do just about anything.

Drafting, sledding, hunting, herding.. Have a hunting dog and live off wild game, giving the pooch all the scraps. :lol:

Notice how nobody said cats would be their one animal. :gig

Did you know that in some countries, people use dogs and ferrets to hunt rabbits?If the rabbits are chased into their holes, they send down a ferret with a lead attached to it. Pretty efficient little hunters, from being part of that nasty weasel family. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea a few key animals on the farm could easily give the world to each family.

when you think overall what the animals can do for you......it makes sense that everyone had a good hunting dog and a few good farm animals.

Back to the old homestead.....a good cow, a good hog for yearly food, a good horse for work, chickens, a great dog for protection and hunting value.

What little they had to survive worked very well

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Drake! If you get a yak, can I come to your place to try yak-skiing?:gig