One Animal??

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I don't either . . . I would have thought you would? :hu

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
"Pony nuts" seems like grain or pelleted food according to Wikap. I never heard of it before tho. Funny name, I think I will adopt it! :p

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:gig That is hilarious!!!

It's like a rural ski lift!!! I want one for sledding season! Then I could sled UP the hill and DOWN!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When I was toying with the idea of getting a mini cow, I found myself attracted to the Scottish Highlanders for sure. SIGH. I just don't have the room right now.
I feel your pain. I want an Irish Dexter SOOO BBAADDD!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like having chickens but I think the sheep or goat with fiber sounds more practical. It nice to read about all the things you get from your animals.

I still want two of each though. I want to be like Noah, I just need to get started on my ark. :D

Two cows, two sheep, two goats, two pigs,,,,,,,,, and so on.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hm. I really like your idea Sally!

I think for me personally, goats (or perhaps sheep then) would be the best bet, as I already know how to take care of them and their needs, they take up and eat less than cows, they are more easily herded, they are easier on terrain while still act as good brush cleaners. The milk has more beneficial factors than most, and most dairy products can still be made using goat milk.

I think maybe 3/4 or even half Cashmere would be ideal when mixed with a dairy breed to still produce enough milk to maintain a baby and extra for human consumption, all while producing fibre that is usually harvested by combing it out during different times of the year. As sheep and angora are usually sheared and that takes more tools and time.

The fact that entire villages and ethnics have relied on caprine and ovine to survive says a lot as well.

:idunno

I don't see anything wrong with having chickens, or cows, or alpacas and horses as your only animals either though, someone has to raise them! LOL.

So Aly, when can I get an alpaca ride?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
So Aly, when can I get an alpaca ride?
Well, they are light pack animals. Are you light???

I'm going to research that now, because I don't think I've ever heard of anyone riding an Alpaca!

Ernie came across some Lowline White Faced Herefords the other day on CL. He fell in love! I think I've got him talked into some Lowline beef now!! :D Lowline Dairy is next!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
"Nuts" are extruded (pelleted) feeds in the UK! In the US, only short stallions have pony nuts.....

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Willy voted for Alpacas, but I vote chickens.

Ya can't eat Alpacas.... :D

Latest posts