Online consignment/secondhand shopping

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I don't shop as a hobby nor do I want things I do not need. I actually hate shopping with a purple passion and I hate clutter. I am a minimalist to the bone. When I need something, I refuse to buy it new unless I have to. I am also not that keen on driving 20 minutes to see what I can dig up at the local Goodwill shops either. Having the option to buy second hand items on-line is perfect for me, plus you can do a quick search to find out if they have what you are looking for. This is much better than going on a wild goose chase down at the Goodwill store and wasting time looking for what I want. I am thrilled that DianeB introduced me to Goodwill on-line. Thanks DianeB. :)

P.S. My mother thanks you too. :p She actually shops for a living and at 80 it is getting harder for her to drive.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Here is the auction I lost. :hit :hit :hit Probably to a BYC person. :barnie

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=5385375

I couldn't be online during the last hour of bidding, but I don't think I would have gone up as high as it soared. Now I need to make one for myself, but I doubt I'll do it. :hu
That's beautiful. Sorry, you lost the bid. Well, I didn't tell anyone on that site about Goodwill online. I hope no one else did!!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Ya'll are killing me........now I'll never get off the computer! :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sorry Becca, looks like the snipers got it! (Snipers wait until the very last second to put in their bids, after everyone lets their guard down.)

It sure was cute tho, sorry for your loss. :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are better off donating to a cause that does not "have a store"

Many areas need coats, kid clothes, blankets and all that....stuff we donate to Goodwill.

Many places have tons of "free giveway shopping" in their facilities.

Need a coat cause it is freezing, come get one! Free of charge!

Just need to research all your local area and find what places do this.

Church of God in Maiden does this each winter. (My MIL goes there)---they collect winter clothes (everything down to socks) and in late November have a free giveaway. You need clothes, come get them. And that helps so many who don't have the "few dollars" for a coat for winter.

So while Goodwill and all those stores are wonderful, there are tons of places that do free and dont' forgot those for donations!!!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
You are better off donating to a cause that does not "have a store"

Many areas need coats, kid clothes, blankets and all that....stuff we donate to Goodwill.

Many places have tons of "free giveway shopping" in their facilities.

Need a coat cause it is freezing, come get one! Free of charge!

Just need to research all your local area and find what places do this.

Church of God in Maiden does this each winter. (My MIL goes there)---they collect winter clothes (everything down to socks) and in late November have a free giveaway. You need clothes, come get them. And that helps so many who don't have the "few dollars" for a coat for winter.

So while Goodwill and all those stores are wonderful, there are tons of places that do free and dont' forgot those for donations!!!
The reason most places sale what they donate is to make money go farther. A coat is a coat. A coat sold for $10 can be turned into $50 or $100. Also, Goodwill Industries main goal is job training and creation.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Salvation Army is also great at job training and housing. I had a pal at the Salvation Army in Houston. He was a recovering druggie and had been clean for 10 years. He was the manager of the store and helped all the new guys who were trying to change their lives for the better. He lived there too. He said if it weren't for Salvation Army he would be dead.

(I have donated to many other organizations too.)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All I am saying is some people don't have money.
A coat even at $10 is not available.
Many churches and such have donation day to give freely what many do not have.

A coat is a coat. A coat sold for $10 can be turned into $50 or $100. ----

(sometimes that coat will save someone from being cold in winter for free vs. making money) It comes down to basics sometimes.

I understand what you are saying.....but sometimes local situations of free clothes etc. is needed.

I just mean---don't forget those events.

I don't.

Nicoles pre-school has the food drive happening now and all thru the year. Donate food now for the holidays. Same concept. Someone not being able to afford a holiday dinner will have one at no cost.

No cost is needed in many situations.