milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll also be following this thread.
We just bought this property in October, and are just figuring out what's here, and what needs help. There are two pear trees and an apple tree that look like they've never been pruned in their life. The apple tree had big green apples on it, but we didn't get even one. The pears appear to be Asian pears. I pruned out a lot of old dead branches in all three trees, but we have a lot more to prune. The apple tree has a lot of scale. We're planning on setting a chicken pen close and giving a few of the older chickens a chance to extend their lifespan.
The neighbor said there "used to be" 2 huge fig trees but someone cut them down. :( Now there are a bunch of small saplings where one used to be. There are about 30 figs on hem, but something ate 1/2of the first one that was almost ready to be picked. I ate an almost ripe one yesterday out of spite... (I got it before you did! So there!!") @sumi, I'm so glad you posted about the green ones. I may just go get all those left and make preserves!
We've got 3 lime trees newly planted, along with a new peach tree, two black walnut trees and several pecan and three trellises of very, very overgrown grapes (those will get pruned on a cold day so I don't have to worry as much about snakes). And we added 16 blueberry bushes (different varieties), and 6 blackberry. And we might never get fruit but we planted an olive tree. We want to add more apple, peach, and some plum.
Current plans are to rehab the old trees, cut down a few pecan, and add more. Also, we want to graft some of my grandmother's old time McIntosh apple tree into a tree here. This is our little peach tree. The pile is all the rock I dug out to plant it.
IMG_20170730_142136.jpg
IMG_20170730_142136.jpg
IMG_20170801_073935.jpg
These are two of the citrus trees (just planted) with a black walnut in the background, and an old pear tree behind that.
I had pictures of the rest, but my phone got run over by a car so we're still trying to salvage the old pictures. I'll take more soon.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
More pictures (poor quality, sorry!)
Our fig...
IMG_20170810_081543.jpg
This is a fully loaded pear tree, but these are waaaaay above what I can reach. To give scale, my gardening shed is on the left, then the black walnut, then the old pear trees...

Attachments

• IMG_20170810_081458.jpg
    IMG_20170810_081458.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20170810_081422.jpg
    IMG_20170810_081422.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 250

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So we're going to plant some apple trees this fall. I'm thinking of getting bare root if I can, going to try 2 different places in the paddock and see how it goes. Everything is an experiment these starter years on the farm. There are no fruit trees here currently so we'll be establishing everything ourselves. (I hope the reason there are no fruit trees isn't because they won't grow!)

We just had two frost nights, but it should be mild for the next couple weeks so I think now is the perfect time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a couple of old apple trees that have been neglected, to the point where we aren't getting much in the way of apples anymore. I need to do some research and set up a plan of attack; probably a 3-year approach.