NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some seriously overgrown apple trees here that haven't been tended to in who knows how long. Would love to know more about how/when to prune. I know you have to do it a certain time of year, just don't know what time of year that is...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They usually recommend pruning around/before the end of January, before the sap rises into the trees.

I'd go on YT and study up on how the professional guys do it, there are a few vids on the topic and I haven't watched them yet but I'm betting they will give you some good tips with which to go forward on your trees.

Here's one series on the topic:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We have one mature apple tree. DH thinks its shape is pretty and says DON'T PRUNE IT. o_O We have young fruit trees, I'm trying to learn to prune and set them up well. Intimidating. And a goat broke the leader branch off most of them.:barnie

I'm also interested in how to care for these trees. I'm all ears.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a plum tree that I planted about 15 years ago...before goat kids were being produced here. It has produced well but some tiny bug gets on it & ruins the fruit. I need a more controlled spray schedule. Then, some years, our weather does not help. Too warm, way too early & it blooms. Freeze then kills bloom & no fruit. This & last year it happened. Here it is mid Feb when we had 75 for 2 weeks, then 30 for next two ruined it. Last year bloomed on time & noreaster blew thru, all blooms/fruit sets gone!

03170001.jpg

Small fruit but, sweet. I need to do more regular sprays with the organic sprays. But weather has ruined all efforts for 2016 & 2017. I have gotten a lot of fruit in previous years if I sprayed.

I have a fig, thought goats had killed when the got to it -- 15 acres & they want my little fig tree leaves :barnie-- & I have a volunteer grape vine to move next week while I'm off. Eat grapes, spit seeds, vine grows. :)

Orchard knowledge would be nice.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been planting a few semi-dwarf trees a year. Just got fruit for the first time last year.

So the only thing I really know is that deer and elk really like cherry trees. *sigh*

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread @Beekissed! This is a topic I am very interested in and keen to learn more about. I don't have any fruit fruits around at the moment and won't be planting any as long as I'm renting, but I have found and earmarked a nursery that supplies the most wonderful range of fruit trees here. Including things that are not usually grown here, like apricots. I'm planning to buy a few trees from then once I have my own place and can plant an orchard. I miss having trees around that we can pick fruit from. Growing up it was something I took for granted.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had an old Hawthorn on our property in CA, and for 2 weeks every May, the whole tree practically Vibrated from all the bees! I never had any problem coming near the tree- they were so busy concentrating on visiting the flowers that I'm not sure the bees were even aware of my being nearby.

I've been trying to encourage the wild bees in our area by putting up bee houses, and planting more flowers and shrubs. I try to have something in bloom from earliest spring to late fall, so they have food for the whole season.
I've been campaigning to let people know they should NOT be getting rid of the dandelions in their yards, as that is one of the first sources of pollen in our area.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Reading all this I'm thinking placing a hive in or near the orchard may be beneficial to the bees, trees and homesteader. If practical and doable of course. Not everyone can keep bees, but if possible, it could be wonderful?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
There is a good crop coming there! Some apple trees are at the top of my list for when I start planting my "one day" orchard. And I'm going to stick to the older not-fancy varieties.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Read through the thread and will be following :) I'm also an orchard novice and there are no fruit trees on the property, but I'd really really really like to get at least two planted in the fall.

Wish I could grow a lime tree! In hardiness zone 5, so will probably be sticking to apples for now (my fav), then maybe pears, possibly plums someday.