treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you can believe it, I still haven't gotten the kitchen cleaned yet, and I would really love to do some organizing since most things were just placed somewhere when we moved in.
It can be tough to completely clean a space that your using three times a day. One step forward, two steps back
tongue.png

Going to tackle some of it now!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since the closets here had tacky wire racks in them, I tossed them out when I took them down to paint. Poor DH had his hanging clothes in moving boxes for a year before I built his closet. His closet is 10'x4'. One tower is three feet wide, the other is two feet wide, both are 18 inches deep. He loves it.

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The decluttering of winter months continues. Started on kitchen cupboards today and it's quite the revelation....heretofore my mother has always cleaned those out, but I've discovered she doesn't actually clean anything OUT...she just cleans under the clutter and puts it all back in there.

I've found so many lids without a container or pot, odds and ends of things I haven't seen for years nor have we used for many years either.

I've spent most of the day just on one set of cupboards! I've got a laundry basket full of stuff to go to Good Will, and the trashcans filled with stuff that doesn't match anything and is so old it's brittle.

I've designed some makeshift things in the cupboards for the holding of cookie sheets and cake pan lids, as well as soup pot lids, but I'm going to make one for the cupboard door for the storage container lids as I can't find anything like that suitable online that will fit our cupboards.

The clean out of the house continues.....

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We took 2 loads of old windows, screens and doors to the transfer station for their Spring Clean-up event. We donated a table and 4 chairs to their fundraiser yard sale also.
We moved my dads old lazy-boy recliner to the barn so I have a chair to sit on to snuggle with the barn cat, lol. She loves her pets! and now that she has kittens somewhere, I am sure the chair will be well used with kitty playing.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One can never have too many screws, nuts, bolts, hinges, and other hardware. I keep a paint tray on the corner of one of the shop work benches and toss the screws in that. Have a bin system for nuts and bolts, and a covered tote for hinges and other hardware. I have a couple jars of screws in the house, so I don't need to run to the shop when working in the house.
Woman after my own heart. The best present I can get is a 5 pound box of deck screws. I love those things! I hoarded wood too. I worked at a garbage company and would go through the roll off boxes and toss out the used lumber. I pulled nails and stacked it in the garage. I also hit the cull rack at Lowes. My husband thought I was a loon. He humored me and we went from Livingston to Sugarland to get old power poles, 100 miles away. Heck, I got 22 of them for $80!! I had piles of lumber. When we bought this place, of course all my carefully hoarded treasures came with me.

We had a 36'x36' barn built from all my hoarded lumber. We paid to have it built as that was above my building abilities. We were one power pole short, but we had cut a large cedar tree, so we used it. We had to buy twenty two 2"x6"x20' for rafters because I didn't have enough. We bought new plywood decking for the roof and all new metal for the roof and sides. We had less than $8,000 in it and over half of that was the metal. Insurance appraised it for $30,000. My husband quit making fun of me. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The decluttering continues....today I'm tearing down and storing the components of the temporary sheep pen I built last fall to keep the sheep in for the winter months until fence was built. It's a foot or so deep with DL in there, so I'm throwing chicken feed in there to get the girls to work on drying it all out. Makes it easier for me to move. I'll move some of it to a new raspberry bed so I can transplant all the canes out of my garden there. They tend to take over space there.

Feels good to have that ugly mess off the back of the shed! Frees up T posts and CP for the making of the sorting pens we need to build. Found a new clutch of duck eggs and moved them to the coop in a nest of my choosing, placing it where their previous nest was and put up a sun/rain shield in that corner. Hope they will start to sit again.

Later on today I'll move indoors to clean out winter clothing and shoes from the closet and mudroom to store in the shed, clean house, clean out both fridges, do some food prep and go fetch the grandbabies...they get to stay for 3 days!!! :weee

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, we signed up for the community garage sale next weekend. Maybe some motivation for getting some things done cleaning up this coming week

That sounds like fun! I'd have to highly resist the temptation to sell some of my own stuff to get rid of it and then turn right around and cruise the neighbor's places, to buy more to replace it. :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor keeps a roll off box because he has an AC and heating business. he told us to dump whatever we want to in it. Last week we took a load over of stuff out of the house and general crap that has stacked up outside.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, you could probably hold a yard sale, and off load a lot of what you consider to be junk! You get my bonus points for tackling such a job.
We could, that's for sure! But....I don't think anyone would come to a yard sale that's 20 mi. from the nearest town and 1/4 mi. back from the hard road. One would have to have some pretty nice stuff for folks to drive that far and away.

We could haul it to Joel's house to sell it, but he's got so many projects going right now and the outside of his house has no room for displaying said items.

Would be nice if they had an ongoing yard sale site in town like they do farmer's markets, wherein country folk could come, pay a fee to set up a table or tarp, and sell off their excess junk...I mean...um...stuff. Not a flea market thing but just like a yard sale, where you could come once, sell all your stuff and then no more.

But, if you are like me, you'd sell stuff and then buy other people's stuff, so I'd be no better off at the end of the day.