flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Beekissed i'm glad you all got it done and are healthy even if hurting a bit.

this doesn't sound like it was a very ancient dumping site though?

when i was a kid there was a place in the woods (not on our property) that us kids would go mess around at. all sorts of old glass jugs, hunks of metal, old appliances, broken plates, etc. just really a lot of fun for a kid. we dig up anything we could that would break when we shot it with the bb guns. if there was anything toxic we never knew it. could have been? maybe. no idea. eventually someone bought that land and i have no news of what happened to that dump or if they just buried it all and left it.

the strangest thing i found there was a cow or horse tooth and i'm pretty sure some of the bottles we dug up and shot with the bb guns were actually worth something to someone if we'd have only known better. oops.

later on in life i had a friend who was a bottle collector but what he really liked was the exercise itself of the digging. he was a big guy and a good friend. what we did was go dig and then we'd get so many crates of bottles that had to be cleaned. for every crate that i helped clean he'd let me pick out a few of the bottles, but not some of the ones he really was after (which were funnily enough ones that i had little interest in myself). he also scuba dived for old bottles and i would man the boat for him. it was an interesting era of my life... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is too bad that scrap steel prices have been so low as anything you had metal would be worth at least a few $ to the scrap yards. getting it to them is the tough part.

we took a few things to the scrap yard a few miles from us and i thought maybe we'd get $5 for it. nope, when he told me how much i just told him to not bother writing the check as the paperwork wasn't worth it.

i was glad however knowing eventually it would be recycled to make new steel.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm not sure if you understand or appreciate what techies do when they design and write programs for computers or an engineer when they come up with some project and how they manage it all, but pretty much it is via various methods of listing tasks and then subtasks and how you fit it all together. :) anyways, just to let you know that you've been doing stuff that high-fallutin' engineers and programmers do too. :)

i don't often write down actual lists as i've been doing this sort of thing in my head since very early, but i also have some things that carry over and have been going on for years. i chip away at them as i can but they are not high enough priority and other more critical stuff comes up, but i do eventually get back to them even if it is just to look at them to where i can start herding materials or ponder how i might actually get it done at last. that is what a good day of daydreaming staring at the clouds and rain might get me... i think this week we are going to get some rain and snow so i'll be doing some of that... :)

at times like this when i have a lot of worry energy and waiting for other things to happen or get ready to happen energy i'm glad i have books to read and projects that i can tinker with on the computer and beans to fondle or think about what i'll be maybe planting soon (and now more peas too!). :) :) :)

i've recently taken some old projects from the website and computer here and put them in a more public space so perhaps i'll knock a bit more dust off them this week and see if i can fix a bug and describe how i'm doing that so if anyone else actually comes along and wants to use this stuff i've done already they can do the same thing. it's just a way to keep my mind busy as it would rather work on stuff than just not at the moment.

i woke up from a several hour nap a bit ago. so i'm probably gonna be up half the night, but what is got me stoked today is that i stepped on the scale earlier today and it said 170lbs. i've been trying to get back to 170 since almost a year ago. so i told myself months ago that i can make my favorite cookies when i finally get to 170 again. funny that i need to give myself such an incentive and i've stuck to it. surprised me though because i thought this week i wasn't doing all that well, but it was really busy.

i know, i'm rambling, but hey, i'm glad to have people who listen and also understand a bit of what i'm saying. :) g'nite. :)

oh and as a p.s. since i don't like getting off-track when i am on-task it helps me to at least acknowledge that and even speak to that being annoyed feeling as i understand it may appear that i get kinda grumpy when i have to switch tasks before they are done. i always want to do something and do it right. i feel rather icky when i can't do something well enough. that is a whole nother can o beans... :)

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here, a lot of yard sales start on Friday. A lot of retirees would take advantage of that instead of dealing with the craziness of Saturday shopping.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Could be due to folks still working on Friday? Most folks plan yard sale shopping for their weekend. You might be surprised at how many folks show up on Sat. and Sun.
Next door neighbors closed up early yesterday, between the weather and minimal traffic, not worth. Very few folks out now, too

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Next door neighbors closed up early yesterday, between the weather and minimal traffic, not worth. Very few folks out now, too

You know, I've noticed less excitement and participation in yard sales around here too but it could have many factors...a big one right now could be the 'rona crapola.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
recently i've been able to clean up a bit more since the planting is done and i can start putting away the boxes and containers of seeds i got out for scouting to see what i wanted to plant.

first i put away all of the seeds/samples/packets/etc from what i planted this year so that come fall i will have it all together (because some of what i grow gets sent back to the person who sent the beans to me). it is nice to have it all in one box and clearly labled.

next round i want to get the box tops of beans that i grew in 2019 rounded up and put into their own box (or boxes).

these yearly boxes are apart from two other collections i already have going (one is a container of four seeds of most of what i grew each year) and my main boxes of beans i've been growing or working with for the past 10yrs or so.

on top of this i downsized my worm bucket collection so i have a bit more space in my room to do other things. a few extra square feet of floor space is nice. :)

i also got rid of (i.e. shredded) some old computer manuals that i'd gotten rid of the computers a few years ago. this gave me enough room to consolidate two boxes into one and the other empty box went out into the garage to be used for other things. i still have a lot of stuff to get rid of here, but as i keep chipping away at it there is improvement as it makes it easier to find things when you don't have to sort through so many boxes.

on the downside, i was really hoping to be able to take a lot of my give away bean samples i made up for the seed swap this past late winter to a library event, but due to COV-19 the library didn't have any events and i've not wanted to advertize or have people come over. so i have three extra boxes sitting here with bean samples in them that i was hoping to have gone by now. i can keep them for next year's seed swap so they are not a loss, but they do take up space...