Our Farm-2 Years Ago to Now

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, wonderful story @baymule! You did a great job with all the pictures. Did you finish the fencing? And how many acres do you have? Those weeds and junk would have had me looking for snakes at every turn!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to update! We finished fencing in early summer. We had to hack through the wilderness, LOL. We have 8 acres. We have a female Great Pyrenees that has killed 2 copperheads and 5 rat snakes. 2 dogs have been bitten by a copperhead and one that has avoided snakes all together.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep, we have the snakes here too. We have a creek that runs along the front of our property that's dry and overgrown with weeds right now. A run off ditch runs along the back and side of the property and dumps into the creek when we get a lot of rain. And the back and other side of the property are woods. Heavy rain fills the creek and ditches quickly. We've been pretty diligent about keeping the edges clear but we have to keep an eye out for snakes. No copperheads yet but they are in the area, along with cottonmouths and rattlers. We had a baby rat snake up in the car port last week. I think I did read about your dogs in another thread. I'm sorry to hear they got bit. I hope they're recovering well. (I didn't know you could give benadryl to a dog for snakebites. I'm not sure I would have thought of that.)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Btw, I was wondering if your dogs have any problems with the heat? (I wouldn't have thought of owning GP's so far south.) I am a really big fan of big dogs and am watching for another dog, but my husband isn't ready yet. Losing ours last month was hard.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
During the day they are in a deep shaded spot, all dug in. They come alive at night. It is surprising how fast they can move when they want to.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading this entire thread. You guys aren't lazy is all I can say - great work going on there.
Thank you! I need to do some updating on this. We are working on a front pasture now. I take a shovel and my wagon and dig Bahia sprigs out on the road side. Then I dig a trench, DH drops in the sprigs, covers and stomps it down. I need grass!

Latest posts