Our Farm-2 Years Ago to Now

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok! I'm going to up date this thread with our fence. When we bought this place, there was nothing here but weeds, trash and a double wide. No. Fence. We had horses and had to have fence. Our neighbor Robert, was so happy that we were moving in, he wanted to help. I had to spend my time on the inside of the house. Our son in law Kilzed the walls after my daughter and I spent several days prepping everything. I then started painting, stripping the floors and I laid all new flooring, I'll post that after I post pictures on the fence. Any way, Robert had a motorcycle wreck, they found a tumor growing in his heart that would have killed him, so he had open heart surgery, a broken arm, broken ribs and about the time he recovered from that, he got cancer. He went through the treatments and was declared in remission. He and his wife moved here from Houston. It had been 3 years and he was just starting to feel human again. So he volunteered to help with the fence. He would come and pound a few T-posts, wear out, and go home. We bought a gas powered auger and he used it for the corner posts. It took several months, but I was redoing the inside of the house, and that took me several months too.

Robert was finally ready to run wire. My husband gave him hundred dollar bills, a day laborer's cell number (we had already found this guy and hired him several times) and told him to call, tell Felix to bring friends. Robert did that, and they got the wire strung around about 2 1/2 acres. My son's job ended and he showed up with a trailer to move my horses. This was on a Saturday, we closed on selling our old house on Wednesday and moved the following Saturday. We also had our 2nd grand daughter born the same day we closed on out old house, we hauled it to the hospital 3 hours away and got there 45 minutes before she was born. Back to moving the horses.....Robert was putting the finishing touches on the fence, when my son showed up with the horses. A worker was in the house finishing putting down vinyl in the bathrooms and utility room. Everything was coming together just in the nick of time. Our son helped us pack and drove the U-Haul to help us move. What timing for him to be out of a job! He is a crane operator and works refinery shut downs, large plant construction and such.

So we moved in. Fencing soon became a goal and we got started. Here ya' go.

There was nothing here but the house. Nothing. We had a house in town and acreage outside of town where we kept our horses, at our previous place. We had already made a lot of fencing mistakes. We used field fencing, which the horses could hang a hoof in and they pawed it to pieces in some places. Repairs were an ongoing project. We also stapled fence to trees where they were on the property line. Big boo-boo. Do you know what happens to the fence when the tree dies and falls down? Or when a storm blows the tree over? I do and I also know what it feels like to kick myself for making dumb mistakes. There was also a dry wash running through our previous land that turned into a raging, flooding river when there was a lot of rain. We had run the field fence across the dry wash and floods knocked it flat. Floods uprooted fence posts too. We sunk new fence posts deeper, concreted them in, and wired them to trees up to 10 feet away as anchors. After every hard rain, I was walking fence line to see if I needed to make repairs.

I was determined not to repeat the mistakes I had already made. I did my research. I waffled on the goat/sheep wire, but ultimately decided on the horse wire. My husband almost fainted on the cost, but got on board when I explained that it would keep all our animals in, even down to the chickens. It would also keep out other animals we didn't want on our place, so we bit the bullet and moved forward with the fence. I took lots of pictures, so I hope this helps some one else on putting up their fence. These are pictures of different segments of the fences we put up.

This is NOT welded wire, which IMO is total crap, as it comes apart under very little usage. This is WOVEN wire, look closely at the pictures and you can see the knot that holds the wire together at every single intersection of the wires. This is why woven wire costs so much more than welded wire. Most of equate "welded" with strength, I know I did, having worked in machine and welding shops when I was younger. But this does not apply to fence wire. Never, ever, waste your money or time on welded wire unless you want it purely for decoration, it will NOT last 'till the water gets hot, up against livestock or even dogs.

It is important to set sturdy corner posts, properly braced. For this corner post, we cut a red cedar tree and cut it to post lengths.
img2352-jpg.16101

You can make a wire loop, stapled at the top and bottom of opposing posts, insert a screwdriver or a stick, and twist the wire to tighten up the posts. It also serves to keep the posts from spreading or moving apart. The wire twist can be seen in the photo below. You can even cris-cross the wires to form an X for added strength.

img2645-jpg.16102

You will want to run a string from corner to corner and measure the string for spacing the T-posts. I marked the string with surveyors tape so I would know where to pound the T-posts.

img2350-jpg.16103

For a short span, we stretched the wire from corner to corner, measured and marked the wire for driving the T-posts. This span was 70 feet.

img2650-jpg.16104

This is my husband pushing the wire out while our neighbor, Robert pounds in the T-post.

img2655-jpg.16105

In some places the ground was so hard, we had to get the T-post started, water it, let it soak, pound another inch or two, water it, water it some more, it felt like we were planting trees! A few of them had to soak overnight.

img2654-jpg.16106

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hanging a gate. My husband made fun of me for all the gates I insisted on, but plan carefully for ease of movement for livestock. We used 12' gates and in a few places where swing room mattered, we used 16' gates.

img2656-jpg.16107

Pictures can be worth more than words!

img2347-jpg.16108

Before we could run this span of fence, we had to take up the old fence. We rolled up the old barbed wire and I pulled the old T-posts with the tractor. Then we hired 2 day laborers to help. My husband ran the chain saw, they piled branches and saplings in DH's truck, up over the cab. DH drove the truck to the burn pile and we all unloaded the truck. I tended the burn pile while they went back for more. They cut 7 truck loads and I burned them. I never knew a fence line could look so good!

img2348-jpg.16109

Home made T-post driver. It is heavier than a store bought, the top (you can see the weld) is 2" of iron. I lifted it high and slammed it down. Over and over. It sure made a T-post move!

img2349-jpg.16110

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One stretch of fence we did was a thicket. We had to chainsaw, hack and brush hog our way down the property line. We had to cut trees and because we aren't wasteful, we cut them into firewood.

img2327-jpg.16111

img2328-jpg.16112

img2329-jpg.16113

img2331-jpg.16114

Our neighbor Robert, brought over his log splitter and I split logs and stacked firewood.

img2325-jpg.16115

We put the fence on hold, to stack up firewood. We don't even have a fireplace or wood burning heater. (wish we did) But Robert has a fireplace, our daughter and family has a fireplace, and we cut the biggest tree on another neighbor's land because it was right up against the property line, and he has a fireplace. So everyone got a lot of split firewood!

img2333-jpg.16116

Building fence isn't always about posts and wire. Sometimes you have to clear a path through the wilderness before you can even get started on the fence.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
  1. img2369-jpg.16119

Got it started, now to roll it on out.

img2361-jpg.16120

Have to go around the stump.

img2362-jpg.16121

The tree just beyond the stump wouldn't move, so I had to pull out a T-post to get the wire rolled past it.

img2363-jpg.16122

img2365-jpg.16123

Ran out of wire before I ran out of posts.

img2368-jpg.16117

So close yet so far away!

img2367-jpg.16118

Notice the long wires? Those long wires are at the start and end of every roll. I used them to weave another piece on. I cut a 30' piece which gave me enough to stretch with.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I plopped my butt down in the dirt and over lapped the roll ends in my lap.

img2356-jpg.16124

I used a pair of side cutter pliers to twist the wire ends together.

img2373-jpg.16125

img2359-jpg.16126

img2360-jpg.16127

I reached as far as I could from one side, then had to sit on the other side to complete it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At this point, we had 3 pastures fully fenced, plus the house area. We left off fencing to work on other things. All the pictures above were done over a period of about a year. Then this summer of 2017, we got back to work on it.

June 10, 2017
We have been working on the last stretch of fence. I can now say our place is totally enclosed and fenced!! This last stretch ran through thick trees, brush and briars. In some of the pictures you can see the thicket we cut through to make room for the fence.

We also have a gully that exits our property. In the wettest winter, it runs a small stream. There are seeps when there is LOTS of rain. We set two sets of H braces on each side of the gully.

img_1714-jpg.35699

img_1715-jpg.35700

We ran the wire straight across the gully from brace to brace.

img_1716-jpg.35701

img_1717-jpg.35703

We ran the fence up the slope toward the back corner, there is a huge pine tree close to the line. I can't reach around it. My husband was insistent on keeping the tree, so we moved the fence over to make sure it has room for future growth. This was ok with the neighbors and they were pleased that we saved the tree.

img_1713-jpg.35702

This was the corner.

img_1722-jpg.35704

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
June 10, 2017

I was planning on using 40 pound bags of concrete mix for making a water gap in the gully. Our son showed up and changed it to 80 pound bags and he did the lifting! I sure was glad he showed up!

img_1770-jpg.35705

He stacked them in 3 rows to make a good base and a spillway for the water to run out on. We left 2 holes in the third layer. We pounded in 3 T-posts to further stabilize the bags and to securely attach to the long span of wire across the gully.

img_1772-jpg.35706

img_1773-jpg.35707

We left a gap in the top layer.

img_1774-jpg.35708

We stacked 50 pound bags on both sides of the fence in two low spots.

img_1775-jpg.35709

My husband and I cut a piece of wire and using hog rings, we closed the gap between the concrete bags and the fence wire. We ran a piece of twisted smooth wire at the bottom to hog ring the 2x4 wire to.

img_1792-jpg.35710

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the corner after many days of cleaning.

img_1711-jpg.35711

You can see the high wire fence of the ranch behind us. The work, sweat and sore muscles that went into this view!

img_1720-jpg.35716

Because of the closeness of a tree to the fence line, we would not be able to get the tractor or mule through, so we cleared a short cut!

img_1718-jpg.35712

While our son and I laid concrete bags, my husband and neighbor rolled wire. When we were done, our son went to help stretch wire. Every one was pretty much wiped out from heat and humidity so we called it a day.

img_1776-jpg.35714

The next day my husband and I pounded T-posts and I clipped them. We got enough posts in to hold the fence and let the sheep in!

img_1788-jpg.35715

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The sheep were uncertain about this new place! They stayed close to the gate because it felt familiar.

img_1784-jpg.35719

They didn't go far.

img_1783-jpg.35718

By calling them softly, they followed me almost to the gully before turning tails and running back to the gate!

img_1779-jpg.35717

When we let the sheep in, we also brought Paris and Trip. They both ran crazy all over the new pasture. We needed a break and quit for awhile. Paris was at the gate. She was done! DH opened the gate and she ran to the backyard gate begging to go home! Trip was ready to quit for the day too.
Poor sheep had to stay in that scary new pasture! Doesn't Ramburger look pitiful? He just wanted to go home!

img_1790-jpg.35720

The day these pictures were taken, DH and I both were plumb tuckered out. We ate a sandwich, guzzled ice tea and took a nap. It rained a drizzle, just enough to bump the humidity to the stratosphere. I went and finished clipping the T-posts.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes it took us longer then we thought it would. Considering where we started and where we are now, we have come a long way. The fence started before we even got moved in and proceeded in spits and starts, stop and go, over a period of 3 years.

DH has had multiple surgeries and has had to recover from each one with therapy. He had a triple bypass, knee replacement, shoulder replacement, heck, he is rebuilt now! It has been start-stop. But this is such a feeling of peace and serenity. Finally. Done.

Latest posts