Our New Dog Lucky~Warning Graphic Pics!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
If you don't know about Lucky yet, read my journal. NOTE: DO NOT SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE PICS OF A NEARLY STARVED TO DEATH DOG!

Dh said when he found him, Lucky was digging in FIL's garden, or what was left of it. He was digging up the old produce that was left to rot in the garden and eating it. This poor boys is soooooooooo starved, it's not funny.

I was surprised, even a bit shocked, that my DH walked through the door with a dog. He is not one to candidly take an animal in. He gives it a lot of thought, usually regarding how much feed it will take....he gave no thought to this. It was pure impulse that made him pick Lucky up and bring him home. His dad was yelling at him to leave the dog alone incase he bit. DH said I am not going to leave him out there to starve.

So, I put two bowls down, one full of kibble, the other water. Lucky ate the first bowl of kibble so I put more in it. He drank all of his water and I refilled his dish. He hasn't gone back for seconds, but he did find a donut that was in the trash. Ok, so we don't need a trash digger, but we'll excuse him today, he's hungry.

After the donut, he curled up behind the woodburner to get warm.

I got out some cheese, provolone cheese. I was going to have a snack. I said, "Lucky, would you like a slice of cheese?" He looked at me with those hungry eyes, and you could see he wanted it but he was waiting to see if it was offered first. Of course, I gave him the cheese. Then DH gave him a piece of his sandwich. (yes I know dogs shouldn't have people food but who knows how long he has starved so for today he gets to eat whatever he wants as long as it isn't chocolate!) Lucky stood up and I offered a second piece of cheese. I said "Sit" OMG LUCKY SAT! HE SAT WHEN I SAID SIT. DH and I were shocked.

Then, when he took the food gently from my hand, I said good boy, and he gave a half a wag with his tail!

I have heard of starving dogs that have food issues, aggressions, etc. Lucky hasn't showed that yet...granted he's barely been here an hour, but in that hour, we have fed him, petted him, named him, and learned that he knows the command sit.

No clue what kind of dog he is, but he's a doll! Not sure that we are keeping him...might patch him up and find him a good home...it's undecided right now. For now, the goal is get him healthy, get him to a good weight, and call the vet on Monday.

He's been sitting at my DH's feet ever since DH came in from getting firewood. I think DH is sunk.

Here's the pics I took of Lucky.
328_100_3264.jpg

328_100_3265.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
he didn't look "too bad" from the side pic cause of the hair coloring disguising the pic I think.....but WOW on that top pic. It surely shows how emaciated that dog is...for his size. Yup, good food will fix that.

you are very kind QA. Sharing with all is what this world needs more of and you sure have it in you!!!!!!!

looks like with some weight and vet check he will make a nice pet for someone--hmm..maybe your DH...his own personal dog! someone to ride around with, go handy-manning thru the yard with, hmm....to be a man dog..LOL-LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We called the sheriff's department and reported that we found Lucky. We only have a dog pound here, no rescue groups. And we know the dog pound won't work with him, they'll most likely just put him down...Unless there would be charges filed against previous owners.

Dog warden is unavailable until Monday. So we'll be calling him Monday morning and telling him about Lucky. We don't want people thinking he is emaciated while in OUR care, so it was important that we notify officials.

Sheriff said we can put fliers up looking for previous owners if we want to. When I told DH that the Sheriff said our dog warden probably knows who Lucky belongs to DH got a little riled and said, "He's not going back to his previous owner! They had their chance and look what happened to him!"

Yea, I was a little taken aback by his reaction! Dh is not the animal lover here!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
he may not be an animal lover in general...but he is a true protector! and he is protecting Lucky now!

hmmm.....by Monday I doubt DH will have a prayer on giving him up...LOL

but if you do give him up at some point, he will get a good home I am sure and it is best that he was saved!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Mistreated dogs really break my heart- if ever there was a creature that would do anything for even the jerkiest of people, it's a dog. That is really a "lucky" dog for finding you husband. Good luck to all of you.
You might think of testing him for worms as he might be carrying them- that could be why he was doing so poorly.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are a good person helping this poor animal. His kind nature shows that maybe he is a lost pet. I think it would take a long time for him to get so thin though. Good luck!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Good for you. I think rescue dogs make just the best pets.

That's what our Cocoa looked like when she came to us about 2 years ago. Except she was covered with ticks (DH pulled off over 50) and had some skin issues.

We fed her, treated her and she hung around. Got her fixed and she is the sweetest dog, and smart. Learned how to sit in 10 minutes.

You won't regret it.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Dh went down to the local grocery to pick up garlic bread to go with our spaghetti. I told him to pick up some boneless skinless chicken breast. I am going to cook it up tonight for Lucky.

He also came home with a small bag of dog treats for Lucky :lol:

He said, "I'm getting old and soft. Few years ago, I would have shot a dog that looked like him just to put it out of it's misery. Now I bring them home and Dr. them up. Call me Dr. Doolittle."

I cracked up laughing.

This is Lucky this evening.
328_100_3266.jpg

That's my husband's foot he's using as a pillow.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly, he has definitely found his angel, hasn't he? I will tell you that the best pets are the ones that find you and not the other way around.

The best dog I ever had in all the world needed me in the worst way....I think this forms a bond between you that is much stronger than mere pet ownership! I don't think you get that same feeling of being needed when you buy a fat, frolicking purebred puppy...not to say they ain't the cutest things in the world! :p

Looks like a little yellow Lab in him, but the facial markings almost look like Rottie, husky or black and tan? I bet he feels like he's died and went to Heaven right about now....warm house, kids to play with, plenty of good food and friendly voices! What more could a dog ask for....except maybe the occasional trash dive! :lol: