Our New Dog Lucky~Warning Graphic Pics!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
did he have a collar when you found him?
he could be lost...simple as that and someone wants him back badly!
maybe he is truly a lost family pet!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Quail,

You're probably right about him being someone's pet if he knows how to sit up and beg and is pretty much housebroken.

Are you gonna run an add or anything for a "Found Dog"?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes, he has a collar.

Yes, we are putting up fliers. We also called the Sheriff and they told us to talk to the dog warden on Monday. We live in such a rural area that our warden knows everyone's dog. So the chances that he knows who this one belongs to are very high.

We already asked the neighbors. They have all their dogs, so he isn't from the immediate area. We have a high velocity of drop offs here, too. Usually I just call Carl, dog warden, and he picks them up and finds them homes....but this one he wouldn't mess with. He'd just put Lucky down unless there would be charges filed.

Most likely, he will let us foster Lucky until his owners are found. The pound is full. No rescue groups in our area, either. And the local Humane Society consists of one elderly couple....and their operation consists of picking up strays and taking them straight to the pound...that's it.

After we talk to Carl (dog warden) and know if he is staying here or going to the pound (I hope not) or going back to his previous owner (not sure how I feel on that, depends on the circumstances) then I'll be calling my vet for a check up for him.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
After all he ate it shouldn't be surprising that he pooped.

I heard a few months ago that lots of pets were being abandoned and given to shelters because the owners could no longer afford them. It was going along with home foreclosures.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well he's been here for a little over 24 hours and either he thinks he belongs to me, or I to him, something.

He goes to the door when he needs to go out. Big difference from yesterday where he didn't seem to have the strength to walk. Today he felt it was his "duty" to follow me everywhere I went! If I went outside, he was right behind me. Right now he's laying behind my chair. We went to put a homemade yoke on Nan, the goat, and he tried to follow me into the goat pen! We were afraid Elroy would hurt him so we told Lucky, go out, Lucky, and he went out! He sat at that gate and patiently waited...that is until he could no longer see me. As soon as I was out of his sight he tried like crazy to get IN the gate screaming and yelping like crazy. I called out to him and said, "I'm alright, Lucky, stay there." He barked a couple more times. I moved so he could see that I was alright and only then would he quiet down. Once he could see me, he was ok.

He followed DH and me all around the yard while we made the yoke for Nan. He then followed us to and from the house as we were carrying firewood over to fill the woodbox. He wandered around the yard sniffing and peeing, leaving us a little ways but never letting us get out of his eye sight.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hate to tell ya

YOU've ALL been adopted by him! :)

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is just a really great story unfolding with lucky, especially at Christmas time. A really great dog getting a really great family!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know, my first rescued dog was like that, Aly. He would hardly let me out of his sight, would watch my face constantly and respond to my every mood. The kids would complain because, when I was outside, Jim wouldn't play with them but just sat at my side, gazing into my face! I got the impression he was trying to tell me something...maybe his undying devotion, I don't know.

All I know was that he was the closest I've ever come to someone worshipping the ground on which I walked. When he died from cancer, it was like losing a husband....someone who loved me no matter what, guarded my house and children with extreme vigilance, someone who knew exactly when to comfort me, and did everything I told him to do without question but still had an independent, ornery, funny side. Where are you going to find someone like THAT?

I hope you have a long and happy friendship with Lucky! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
He is ours!

Talked to the dog warden and prosecuting attorneys office this morning. the prosecutor said send him to the pound. Well, remember DH and warden are highschool friends, so I called him and he said, "he's legally yours after 72 hours. Buy a tag, call him yours." Told him I would buy his tag as soon as I can, for now he's getting food and stuff. He said that's good get the tag whenever you are able, no problem. :D

I am still keeping the pics I took. If some previous owner shows up I have proof of his condition when he came to us.

Lucky slept at the foot of my bed last night. :D

Latest posts