Our President is a Nobel Laureate

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Blue Skys said:
Big Daddy said:
Prize is about 1.4 million. You have to win the Nobel Peace prize. You can't buy it.. I hope he donates his winnings to ACORN.
Off topic...

Why would you not want it to go someplace where it would be helpful - like healthcare you think everyone else should pay for, or to help with that national debt that's been racking up?

Instead you want it to go to criminals and liars. :hu

Continue with discussion.
Actually Acorn does a lot of good stuff. However I was just kidding. I too would like to see it go to help out poor children or something.

By the way, not all of Acorn is bad. They just have a few bad nuts. The thing you're talking about was a sting operation. A lot of people have a little larceny in their hearts. It does not mean the whole organization is bad. If they investigate and prove that the organization is crooked all the way to the top then I will concede. Until then it's just more created news.

1.4 Million wouldn't help the health care situation or the national debt. Besides why would you want to help anyone? It sounds like your against the programs that help people.
acorn really reminds me of a certain animal rights group that starts with a p. crazys that think they know what is best for everyone else.

sure 1.4 million pales in comparison to the amount of money it will take for healthcare, or even to assist with the national debt, but it would help, wouldn't it? I can't see thinking that just because it doesn't cover the entire amount that it is does no good.

Your awful presumptuoius (sp?). I'm not against helping anyone. I'm against more taxes when nothing is being done to correct the cause of problems.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I would be interested to know where the Nobel money comes from. It will also be interesting to see what Obama does with it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
after taxes that 1.4 mil, there isn't much left anyway.

and besides, WHY SHOULD he donate his award? Of course he will but we all assume he doesn't deserve the money. it is his actually. the country didn't win the prize, a man did and it is his to do what he pleases....but of course for show he must donate it I am sure.

Everyone worries about what is theirs and theirs alone, like 50 lbs of rice, or a stockpile of green beans, and NO ONE can have it, why should they, it is their prize, SO the prize for the Pres. is HIS, not ours to worry about.
Of course, like I say I am sure it will be donated. Any cause will be a good cause! I am sure!!

good post me&thegals
some citizens just don't like the man, regardless of ANY good he will accomplish. So you can't fight city hall on their feelings. I am not a monster fan, but he is the Pres. and I want to see great change and good global change. I hope he and his people can accomplish the right steps.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Obama wins the Noble Peace Prize. The Liberal Media reacts, "Huh?"

The Washington Post - "Obama is the third sitting U.S. presidentand the first in 90 yearsto win the prestigious peace prize. His predecessors won during their second White House terms, however, and after significant achievements in their diplomacy."

The New York Times - "Reporters at a news conference to announce the prize pressed the committees chairman, Thorbjorn Jagland, to explain the reasons Mr. Obama had prevailed over other candidates who included human rights activists in China and Afghanistan and political figures in Africa.

Specifically, reporters asked whether Mr. Obama might not become mired in a war in Afghanistan as Lyndon B. Johnson was in Vietnam.

But the committee said it wanted to enhance Mr. Obamas diplomatic efforts so far rather than anticipate events in the future."

(They must be referring to his Apology Tour as his "diplomatic efforts")

Times Online - "absurd decision on Obama makes a mockery of the Nobel peace prize"

MSNBC - "LAUER: There are no major foreign policy achievements to date In some ways he wins this for not being George W. Bush.

GREGORY: Thats an inescapable conclusion."

Peter Beinart (Contributing Editor for The New Republic) - "I like Barack Obama as much as the next liberal, but this is a farce. Hes done nothing to deserve the prize."

Even Michael Moore - "Congratulations President Obama on the Nobel Peace Prize -- Now Please Earn it!"

This reminds of the Major Award in the Movie "A Christmas Story".

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Those are pretty funny :) I can't wait for the Jon Stewart spoof on it! Or maybe that press supper thingy they have every year.

As I already said, I would really like to hear a detailed account from the committee on why they chose him, specific things he has done rather than just hopes and dreams for the future.

OTOH, NOT being George Bush probably has quite a few of us wanting to award his predecessor, whoever that person is!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia.......

"According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

I don't see anything there that says you get the award for THINKING about doing those things.....

Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Maybe we could give the guy a teensy more credit than 2 weeks in a fluff job. He is literally and figuratively in the cross-hairs for every thing he does. I am quite sure he knows he is in constant danger just for who he is, then for all the controversial things he is doing.

Personally, and perhaps very callously, I would prefer one person be the target of his own country's animosity than all of us be the target of the world's animosity.
That was very well said.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am thinking about learning to play the bass guitar (I even have the guitar). Can I be in the rock & roll hall of fame now?

Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am thinking about learning to play the bass guitar (I even have the guitar). Can I be in the rock & roll hall of fame now?
No but you can post on this forum. Al you need is a keyboard.