Our Raised Garden beds...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to try "Square foot gardening" (I bought the book) in those two beds, I might need another smaller one (just for the strawberries) I'm not sure what to do about the vining veggies I have planned - tomatoes and cucumbers, I might need to find a nice spot in my old garden area for those.
:D

I also bought a soil heating cable to lengthen our season a little bit, and plan to cover with plastic when it gets cold.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Well its filled and ready. Covered with plastic fencing to keep the chickens etc. out!

Gardenfenced.jpg

I'm going to plant some onion sets and carrots this coming week. I have a few seeds starting inside for Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peppers and lettuce. I had to put a heating pad under those as its still pretty chilly here - they're in my sewing room and its only 63 in that room.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thats really looking good! A couple years ago I started seed inside, too. I was lucky enough to have a room on the SE corner of the house that stayed warm. I also set them over the heat vent up there, right by the window, and it really worked out. Had I been thinking I'd have done it this year but I just had too much going on. Next year ....look out!

I like your design, and would like to do it maybe out in front of the house....thanx for the inspiration!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
Thats really looking good! A couple years ago I started seed inside, too. I was lucky enough to have a room on the SE corner of the house that stayed warm. I also set them over the heat vent up there, right by the window, and it really worked out. Had I been thinking I'd have done it this year but I just had too much going on. Next year ....look out!

I like your design, and would like to do it maybe out in front of the house....thanx for the inspiration!
My hubby's not going to be happy, I decided last night (lying in bed waiting to fall asleep) that the second one needs longer side posts. The square wood in the corners is 20 inches high, I want it higher so the plants in the side squares will have more room, that netting/fencing is going to get in the way.

Then I thought well why not make it high enough so I can put fencing on one side, for any veggies that need to vine up - so I'm going to look into how high it needs to be for that, I thought last night 4 feet high on one side, and 3 feet on the front side, then when I cover it for cold/snow freezing etc.. there will be a pitch to the top and it will be super strong. (not sure how much weight the hoops could hold.

Anyhoo - hubby has other things to do all week after work, so it will have to wait a little while.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky,..nice job on the raised bed! :clap I have been looking into the square foot gardening thing also,..just haven't been able to talk myself into buying the book yet. :D You can plant a lot of stuff in there like that.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I hear ya on the waiting part....my DH is a truck driver, and will be gone all this week so any 'big' projects that require another set of hands or more muscle than I posses will have to wait.

I can't wait to see the transformation :D :pop

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
pioneergirl said:

My hubby's not going to be happy, I decided last night (lying in bed waiting to fall asleep) that the second one needs longer side posts. The square wood in the corners is 20 inches high, I want it higher so the plants in the side squares will have more room, that netting/fencing is going to get in the way.

Then I thought well why not make it high enough so I can put fencing on one side, for any veggies that need to vine up - so I'm going to look into how high it needs to be for that, I thought last night 4 feet high on one side, and 3 feet on the front side, then when I cover it for cold/snow freezing etc.. there will be a pitch to the top and it will be super strong. (not sure how much weight the hoops could hold.

Anyhoo - hubby has other things to do all week after work, so it will have to wait a little while.
Make sure that taller sides don't shade the growing area. Shade will slow the rate that the soil warms and shorten the day length for the plants. I'm in east central Ohio and have raised beds that have 12-14 inches sides. They are along the south facing wall of our barn. The one closest to the barn has a piece of hog panel attached to fence posts on the back side. Vining veggies are planted at the back half of that box and grow up the fence. Have grown peas, beans and tomatoes with this arrangement.

Latest posts