Out with the Old, In with the New

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have crawled under a house before with extension cord ran out the window, hair dryer in hand, to thaw out pipes. We had a snow storm in Livingston after BJ and I married and were still living in raggedy old house. BJ was utterly amazed that I knew to do such a thing. LOL It was up on blocks, more to catch a breeze and cool the house in the ferocious heat. That house also had 2 way windows, raise the bottom half in the evening to let cool air in, put it down in the heat of the day and lower the top window to let hot air out. To he// with that, we had a window unit.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did RR11 all by myself yesterday. Didnt get done til 10 til 5, but got it done. My supervisor said if you get back before 5, its a good day. I walked in at 5 til. Got in trouble because I backed up a little too much on this one street and it shows it on a satellite gps tracker. They even have a picture to show you. My postmaster talked to me this morning and said she wouldnt document it this time but wrote that we had an official discussion.
Poor judgement on my part.
Today I did RR13 and got done in 2 1/2 hours. Wasnt hardly any mail or packages today. Fine by me.
When I got back, my supervisor asked me to deliver some priority packages that came in after all the carriers had left. Only had like 6 and had it done in an hour.
Left at noon. Im home now.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew -- most of us didn't -- that they gps your movements! Kinda cool BUT a little annoying at the same time. 😊. In this hi tech world, so many things happen that couldn't years back. When I was a kid and we lived in a housing situation, the mailmen walked the routes...park, walk, return. I'm sure they still do but not like before. Now they tend to just put a gaggle of boxes at end of street.

Sounds like you're settling into this new adventure just fine! 👍👏. We knew you would! 🤗

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They still do the walking thing but its mostly city carriers. The RR13 is a small route so its easy. RR11 is alot more boxes, packages, and miles. And apartments. I hate it.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So Wed I did RR11 all by myself. Cased the mail, marked the packages, got it all delivered by 3:50 pm. :weeeBest time ever. I would of done better but this talkative old lady stopped me on one street, and a former grooming client on another. :th
Then I was on my last street when just as I got to the train tracks, the lights started flashing and the gates came down. :barnie
But, I saw that somehow I miss-cased a package for a business so once I was done with the last few stops, I swung by and delivered that.
Today, however, got in trouble for backing again. :rolleyes: I had to do part of RR1. Took the vehicle called the Metris, which looks like a minivan. I did a turn around in this driveway that had fresh gravel put down. When I tried to leave the wheels spun. I was stuck.
I am supposed to call in situations where you may have to back up for safety reasons but forgot. :idunno
If I went forward anymore Id of ended up in a ditch and required towing. So I gunned it and reversed and got out. However, it was far enough to trigger the picture being sent and a discussion. Again. 😖
The postmaster reminded me about the previous discussion and I was to call if things like that are warranted but forgot.
I have to stop doing that.
A lady who works there also told me I shouldnt come in and start working before 7am. For one reason, if I get hurt for some reason, Im screwed because workmans comp wont pay since I was hurt off the clock.
Two, fudging time cards can get you fired. I write down I started at 7, but since I start casing before that, its considered fudging.
To I did RR13 again, got out at 7:45 start time. I forgot to not go til 8am until they bring around the accountables table. Thats the table that has any certified letters, your keys to CBU's, ( central box units), or packages or letters that may have postage due. Oops.
Apparently there was none for me because nobody said anything when I got back. I did have to fix my leave time tho because I forgot my scanner and had to come back before I got to my first stop.
Need to slow down and do things right or its just going to make it harder for me in the long run if I keep making mistakes.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have crawled under a house before with extension cord ran out the window, hair dryer in hand, to thaw out pipes. We had a snow storm in Livingston after BJ and I married and were still living in raggedy old house. BJ was utterly amazed that I knew to do such a thing. LOL It was up on blocks, more to catch a breeze and cool the house in the ferocious heat. That house also had 2 way windows, raise the bottom half in the evening to let cool air in, put it down in the heat of the day and lower the top window to let hot air out. To he// with that, we had a window unit.
Several years ago I frequented a old local feed store that was owned by post retirement couple. The owner was telling me about windows like that in their house with 10' ceilings. He said you get the best night's sleep with heat right above you and cool night air at sleeping level.

I hope the place is still in business. I plan on picking up some sweet potato slips and seed potatoes from them this spring. Both the owner and his wife were extremely wise about local gardening issues and farm animal husbandry. They both were so loving/caring. I don't think I ever walked out of there without giving him a thankful handshake and hugging his wife. I think you know the kind of people I'm talking about. They are few and far in-between these days.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸