Out with the Old, In with the New

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It might help to use a piece of plastic, like an old shower curtain, hang it over the door as you close the door so the lock and door handle/knob, is protected from any blowing freezing rain type of stuff. You will have to do it from the time it is thawed out and dry, in the lock mechanism... just a suggestion. I had one truck that would seem to always freeze around the door gasket.....and the lock... and it did help. Now I am able to mostly not have to go out when the weather is like that... and I park it where the sun does get on it before I usually have to go anywhere... but a few times I have used an old piece of plastic... he//, you can buy a shower curtain liner for a couple dollars and it will last a season.. even a plastic garbage bag hung on the door as you shut it will deflect any water/snow/wet... but not as heavy to stay in place if there is wind like a longer piece of plastic.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It might help to use a piece of plastic, like an old shower curtain, hang it over the door as you close the door so the lock and door handle/knob, is protected from any blowing freezing rain type of stuff. You will have to do it from the time it is thawed out and dry, in the lock mechanism... just a suggestion. I had one truck that would seem to always freeze around the door gasket.....and the lock... and it did help. Now I am able to mostly not have to go out when the weather is like that... and I park it where the sun does get on it before I usually have to go anywhere... but a few times I have used an old piece of plastic... he//, you can buy a shower curtain liner for a couple dollars and it will last a season.. even a plastic garbage bag hung on the door as you shut it will deflect any water/snow/wet... but not as heavy to stay in place if there is wind like a longer piece of plastic.
@Alaskan , what is the spray you put on car door seals?

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Alaskan , what is the spray you put on car door seals?
Silicone spray.

Usually lasts about a month before you have to redo it.

They have a WD-40 with silicone, I think it is marketed for bicycle chains...

I have heard of some people using some kind of non-stick spray for baking... not sure how well that works.

But, you want whatever is at the store with silicone in it.. that works best.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Someb

Somebody is going to need a carport of a garage. Jeep wants a house too! I had to pour warm water over the door gasket to open the truck door, I needed something out of it. Then it promptly froze back.
That is the problem with using water...

Spray it with silicone spray.

Or... use a heat gun.. or a gentle application of a blow torch.

Latest posts