Overdosing our babies

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
My child has never been vaccinated. 12 yrs later no problems and only been to the doctors once in here life. :)
The point of vaccines is not one child's health but public health. If x% of the population is vaccinated, certain diseases cannot get a foothold.

I do think they go overboard. I wouldn't mind more spacing and the less serious diseases optional. But all in all, I think vaccines are great.

There is already a rise in some of those diseases that parents are refusing to vaccinate for. Measles is the biggest. Just wait til polio gets big again.

Measles cases have risen to a record high as children who were never vaccinated against the disease become ill, the Health Protection Agency said yesterday.

Last year there were 1,348 cases of the disease in England and Wales, the HPA said, up from 990 in 2007. Those numbers may yet rise as more reports come in.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Polio is still active in the soil in most areas. It doesn't require a human disease pool.

Pertussis is also still active. I had it as an adult, about a year before the CDC discovered that the vaccine wears off in adulthood. There was a rash of cases among adults, and they got a milder form of it since they were already vaccinated.

I can tell you, having had that "milder" form, which made me cough for four months, so hard that I had headaches and sore stomach muscles every day by 10:00 am, I would not wish the full disease on any child!

Our son had leukemia, and had a depressed immune system during treatment. Because of that, our kids used flu shots while Alex was in treatment. Betsy, our only daughter who had not had the chickenpox, also was vaccinated for that. Then as soon as Alex was able to be vaccinated for chickenpox (after he finished treatment), we did that with him.

Those were special circumstances. And that is what that vaccine was developed for. Now the schools are requiring it for every child, and I am protesting. I won't do it. It is far healthier for most to just GET chickenpox.

I will not be getting any vaccinations for the baby I am carrying now, if he is born with Crohn's. The chance of that is VERY high, and it can cause extreme chemical sensitivities, so vaccinations could seriously damage him or kill him.

So I feel that the whole vaccination thing is very individual. They CAN be very bad for some kids. They can be absolutely necessary for others. I think we just really need to use our judgment, and not just be herded like sheep into the modern medical machine, where we stand in line for whatever the government declares that we need next.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Here is some food for thought.

According to Medicine Net, A child born to a mother who had measles receives immunity from its mother lasting most of the first year of life. One attack of measles provides lifelong immunity there are other studies which show that immunity from mothers milk lasts even longer than that. It is a strong argument against vaccination, as most mothers of this generation will have had the vaccine and therefore their ability to pass on immunity to their children is weakened. This shows that vaccination is actually destroying natural immunity rather than building it.

The measles vaccine is also live. It sheds and gives measles to anyone who's vaccine is no longer effective, and to the unvaccinated, either by the fact that it has not been administered yet, or by vaccine free choice.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Here is some food for thought.

According to Medicine Net, A child born to a mother who had measles receives immunity from its mother lasting most of the first year of life. One attack of measles provides lifelong immunity there are other studies which show that immunity from mothers milk lasts even longer than that. It is a strong argument against vaccination, as most mothers of this generation will have had the vaccine and therefore their ability to pass on immunity to their children is weakened. This shows that vaccination is actually destroying natural immunity rather than building it.

The measles vaccine is also live. It sheds and gives measles to anyone who's vaccine is no longer effective, and to the unvaccinated, either by the fact that it has not been administered yet, or by vaccine free choice.
This is from the CDC :

Measles is the most deadly of all childhood rash/fever illnesses. The disease spreads very easily, so it is important to protect against infection. To prevent measles, children (and some adults) should be vaccinated with the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine. Two doses of this vaccine are needed for complete protection. Children should be given the first dose of MMR vaccine at 12 to 15 months of age. The second dose can be given 4 weeks later, but is usually given before the start of kindergarten at 4 to 6 years of age.
And here's a sheet on side effects of the MMR vaccine.

I personally would much rather have the vaccine than take the chance of getting measles. And there would be a whole generation that needs to skip getting the vaccine and get measles before their babies would be protected. Vaccine sounds better to me.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Moolie- ok I see. Are you counting awful colds or sniffles?
Real colds, we don't get "sniffles". Sore throat (though not always), seriously runny nose/sinus pressure and sneezing, occasional mild fever, occasionally my youngest and I cough for a few days towards end of cold. The kind of thing that means a day of rest and some good chicken soup make one feel better.

We watch our Vit D intake, and take combo zinc/Vit C lozenges first day of feeling down, so most colds only last 5-7 days in our house.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The average woman uses 4000 IU/day. The average man, about 6000 IU. If you are older or sick you need more.

Unless you are intentionally laying out in the sun or taking between 4000-10,000 IU/day, the odds of you getting enough D, especially in winter, are slim.

No, the vitamin D in your milk or your multivitamin isn't enough.

No, 10 minutes of sun on the back of your hand isn't enough.

You need to get a blood test to see what your serum levels are and go from there.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Measles death rate from 1901/2 (averaged) declined by 99.4% before vaccination in 1968, so no evidence vaccination did anything.

Peter Flegg says, "The only reason more children do not die of measles in the UK is that herd immunity is still sufficiently high to protect those who cannot or have not been fully immunised."
That is not entirely correct in my opinion.
A site called Measles Initiative says that (7), "Measles is a leading killer of children in many developing countries for several reasons. Children are already compromised with poor living conditions, they are infected at very young ages when their immune systems are not strong, malnutrition is rampant in many homes, and many families do not have access to medical care to treat measles and its complications. Measles, itself, does not kill children. Instead, complications from measles attack the child's already weak immune system. Measles attacks the body, inside and out. It is similar to HIV in the sense that when it knocks down the immune system, the child becomes susceptible to the myriad of diseases that fester in poor living conditions."
Do children in the United Kingdom have the same living conditions as children in Africa? ----Hilary Butler [Letters BMJ Becoming Ben Oct 2008]
http://www.whale.to/v/measles_deaths.html

In UK, from 1998 to 2007 (as of 24th November), there were 28,364 cases of measles.
Out of the 12 deaths from 1998 - 2007, one is known not to be measles, one is provisional, 2 were immunodeficient children within the age where vaccines are administered, and the other 8 were older deaths resulting from infections contracted prior to 1967. From the years of 1998 2007, the risk of any unimmunized child dying from ACUTE measles was as follows:
immunodeficient children = one per 14,182 cases of measles; healthy normal children = 0 out of 28,364.
Any suggestion that in 2008, the risk of any child dying of acute measles is 1 in 2,000 is another fictional statistical manipulation, in the same vein as: in order for the risk/benefit equation to be tipped in favour of leaving children unvaccinated against MMR, there would need to have been more than 7500 deaths from MMR in the last 10 years. -----Hilary Butler [Letters BMJ Becoming Ben Oct 2008]
http://www.whale.to/v/measles_deaths.html

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
live in those countries that barely give a vaccination or you can't get one to literally save your life or your childs. bet alot of moms would be begging and standing in long lines for a few shots.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
live in those countries that barely give a vaccination or you can't get one to literally save your life or your childs. bet alot of moms would be begging and standing in long lines for a few shots.
:thumbsup

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

Measles death rate from 1901/2 (averaged) declined by 99.4% before vaccination in 1968, so no evidence vaccination did anything.

So offering proper sanitation help is not a better choice?
We used to be in the same situation as developing countries, when it comes to the knowledge of santitation.
And we proved what education and cleanliness can do. Reduce death rates by nearly 100%.