Overdosing our babies

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
look outside your country and see the real. those facts at some point get annoying and I am sure all those dying every day in those countries appreicaite those facts alot :p

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cleanliness is not the answer to everything, mass polio outbreaks in Europe and North American began just as the 1st world began to live in more "sanitary" conditions. People lost their natural immunity that came from living in less than "sanitary" conditions.

Immunization came about as a result of people wanting a healthier future for their children. It's not all about who did and who didn't die from measles. It's about greatly reducing infant mortality and ensuring that children weren't kept indoors living in fear during outbreaks. It's about quality of life.

I totally support anyone's right to make decisions for their children that they feel are right. I hope they are based on research and not merely emotion. But if a child who has not been immunized comes down with a serious life-threatening disease, that child was not served well by the decision that his/her parents made.

And when that disease is carried by immune individuals to an infant who is not old enough to be immunized, and that child becomes sick and (heaven forbid) dies from that disease, that loss of life is on the head of the one who made the decision not to immunize.

Measles still kills people, and blinds other (yes, I know about the connection to Vit A deficiency and measles blindness). And Polio is an absolutely horrific disease that I would not wish on any human being.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as usual it is some in the world have so much at their fingertips and can scutinize....while some would beg at your feet to have what little you might throw away.

not saying all vaccines are wonder cures or safe, just the 'constant sometimes useless' percentage rates don't cut it.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
...while some would beg at your feet to have what little you might throw away.
Indeed.

And they're not all overseas, there are people in our own home towns who are in desperate need, every day. It behooves us all to keep that planted firmly in mind, and act accordingly.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
For the record regarding Polio that everyone is so vocal on. Between 1923 and 1953, before the Salk vaccine was introduced, polio declined on its own by 47% and 55% respectivly. (International Mortality Stats 1981)

When national vaccine campaigns were initiated in the 50's, the number of reported cases of polio were significantly greater than before the vaccinations - and almost doubled in the US alone. (Source - US government statistics)

In 1959 Bernice Eddy discovered vaccines being administered contained an infectious agent, capable of causing cancer. (you can look up SV40 on your own, we all have google)
Experts estimate that between 1954 and 1963, 30 million to 100 million americans were exposed to SV40 through ill-conceived polio eradication campains.

In other parts of the world, new and highly virulet strains of polio caused by mutations and recombinations within the oral polio vaccine are inducing unprecedented outbreaks of paralysis and death.
In the US the only cases of polio since the 70's have been FROM the vaccine itself.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
moolie said:
Immunization came about as a result of people wanting a healthier future for their children. It's not all about who did and who didn't die from measles. It's about greatly reducing infant mortality and ensuring that children weren't kept indoors living in fear during outbreaks. It's about quality of life.
The USA is currently around 30th or so in the world infant mortality rates. doesn't say very good things about the 36 vaccines the kids here recieve. Check the countries at the top of the list, and compare the number of vaccines they recieve.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
moolie said:
And when that disease is carried by immune individuals to an infant who is not old enough to be immunized, and that child becomes sick and (heaven forbid) dies from that disease, that loss of life is on the head of the one who made the decision not to immunize.
If mothers today had not been vaccinated as children, they could support their own childrens immune system simply by breastfeeding. There are very few women who can't breastfeed, more that simply choose not to.
If my child dies or gets a siezure disorder, or guillian barre syndrome or narcolepsy or any other number of horrible side effects from a vaccine, who's head is on the block? Vaccine manufacturers? NOPE, theyre granted immunity from the governement, will the doctor stand by and treat those illnesses for free? NOPE you're on your own!

I had measles, mumps, pertusis etc. as a child (yes I survived), I supported my babies immunity by breastfeeding and by having a naturally aquired immunity myself!

Vaccine immunity (if it even exists) wears off in the teen years, the exact time when these illnesses cause so much damage, infertility etc... if these children had been allowed to get ill the natural way as children, they'd be immune for life!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I am bowing out of this thread now because it just drives me round the bend how people (to some extent on *both* sides of the argument, tho a bit more on the very-anti-vaccine side than the pro-vaccine side) will point at whatever-the-heck happens to seemingly be in favor of their viewpoint and pronounce it "evidence".

To those interested in THINKING about the subject, self-sufficiently rather than depending on others' opinions or leaping to one-sided conclusions, I would strongly urge applying CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS (including, but not limited to, "considering alternative explanations" and "comparing benefits to costs" and "not throwing baby out with bathwater") to EVERYTHING that anyone says on the subject. Also doing your best to track down original sources and fully read them and think about them, rather than relying on heavily-slanted and often head-wilfully-up-their-butt websites (of either camp!) that claim to tell you what it all means.

Pat